The Volvo XC90 is a large SUV with plenty of passenger space with a very minimalist Swedish design. The interior is as amazing as the exterior, with many safety and fuel efficiency features.
Apart from being spacey and classy, the car has a powertrain engine of the 2.0-liter unit. It has a mild hybrid system offering a B5 badge.
So how long do Volvo XC90 last? This large SUV is designed to last over 200,000 – 250,000 miles if taken proper care of, which rounds up to 20 years.
In 2015 it was awarded the name of The Auto Express Car, which is suitable, but when you buy a car such as Volvo XC90, the aim is to use it for as long as possible.
The Volvo longevity is one of the many attractive features of this car. The article will help you understand the merits and demerits of owning a Volvo XC90, and by the end of it, you will have a solid decision.
The article will further explain how Volvo XC90 makes a difference.
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Volvo XC90?
Back in 2002, when Volvo introduced its large SUVs, it was a big hit. The Volvo XC90 was the model for 2003 – 2014, where it was rated as one of the best cars to own in terms of reliability and efficiency.
It was reported that the average life expectancy of the large SUV is 200,000 to 250,000 miles which sums up to be 13 to 17 years.
Although it is not just the engine that adds life expectancy to the entire car, every added part has a lifespan, and it adds up to the total length of longevity.
The Motors Volvo cars are adamant about Volvo XC90’s longevity and reliability claim. But as mentioned above in the introduction, this can live up to 20 years if it is properly maintained and serviced from time to time.
The upcoming sections of the article will deal with how Volvo XC90’s life expectancy is so vast. Keep reading the article for a detailed discussion.
Does Volvo XC90 Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
SUVs have become a favorite of many for their practicality and fuel efficiency. For the same reasons, different sizes of SUVs are available.
Volvo XC90 is one of the largest SUVs on the market, with many tech-savvy features that allow a safe and protected drive throughout the journey.
Adding to the large passenger space and cargo space, this car is one of the best available cars for family trips.
Let’s not assume that this is the only SUV with these features. Different companies have launched their cars which have become pretty tight competitors.
1. Volvo XC90 Vs. Acura MDX
Acura MDX is no ordinary SUV. Like Volvo XC90, it is a mid- full luxury SUV with different features that allow the driver to enjoy a comfortable ride.
Both cars are 7-seaters and have ample passenger space but are it all that is needed for a car?
Let’s focus on the merits and demerits of both cars and conclude which is the best choice.
- The first round of focus is complaints. According to carcomplaints, 2 NHTSA complaints about Acura MDX and 72 problems were reported on carcomplaints, while Volvo XC90 has no filed complaints but has reported 172 problems.
- Both SUVs are luxury cars having seven seats. While on safety notes, Volvo XC90 has a foldable child seat while Acura MDX lacks this feature.
- Along with navigation and tightening of seat belts before applying breaks, Volvo XC90 leaps a few steps ahead of Acura MDX.
- While Volvo XC90 has a T6 standard 2.0 Unit engine and Acura MDX has a 3.5 SOHC V6, Volvo still has more horsepower and torque because it has a 4- cylinder turbo recharge.
- Another important aspect of the analysis is Quality and reliability, which is scored efficiently by JDpowers. According to the site, Volvo XC90 scored 70 out of 100, an average score, while Aura MDX scored 80 out of 100.
- The life expectancy of Acura MDX is between 200,000 miles and 250,000 miles, between which there are plenty of unscheduled repairs required. At the same time, Volvo XC90 can easily lie up to more than 250,000 miles.
- Coming to the gas mileage Volvo XC90 is very economical as it is electric-powered, making it highly fuel-efficient than Acura MDX.
Volvo XC90 is a large SUV. Although it is a luxury car similar to Acura MDX, it still has many safety features and practical features, which makes it a good investment in the long run.
Related: Acura MDX Life Expectancy
2. Volvo XC90 Vs. Audi Q7
Audi Q7 is an amazing car known for its elegant style and maximized cargo space. While Audi Q7 is a good option for transporting five adult family members but Volvo XC90 is capable of carrying seven adults easily.
However, Audi Q7 is one of the most sold cars, with many unanswered questions.
Here is a key analysis of the Audi Q7 as a reliable car.
- One of the major differences that were noticed was regarding the complaints. While Audi Q7 has almost 53 complaints on the file of carcomplaints and 49 problems reported, Volvo XC90 has no filed complaints but has 72 problems.
- Though both brands use premium gas, Volvo XC90 is still more fuel-efficient than Audi Q7. This also makes Volvo better on gas mileage.
- Audi Q7 has more cargo and passenger space, but it is still a family car for five, while Volvo CX90 is a comfortable large SUV for 7.
- When it comes to Quality and Reliability, JDpowers awarded Audi Q7 with a score of 65, which is a fair score, while the Volvo XC90 is awarded 70.
- In terms of life span Volvo XC90 easily lives up to 20 years, 200,000 – 250,000 miles, while Audi Q7 has a life expectancy of 150,000 to 200,000 miles.
Providing more safety features and a better drive experience Volvo XC90 outruns many leads compared to Audi.
If you have a small family, the Audi Q7 is the car for you, but if you need extra space and drive on rough terrains, then Volvo XC90 is the obvious choice for you.
Related: How Long Does An Audi Q7 Last?
3. Volvo XC90 Vs. BMW X5
The BMW X5 SUV is to die for. The car is elegantly designed with a larger radius and spacious interior. The Scandinavian-designed Volvo XC90 has an ultimate competitor.
These cars are almost similar to one another in size and features. While BMW X5 is also a Luxury SUV similar to Volvo XC90, This comparison will help you make a better choice.
- BMW X5 is an amazing ride that runs on diesel, making it slightly more expensive in fuel mileage.
- Regarding the carcomplaints, which have almost 147 complaints on file for BMW X5 and 187 reported problems, Volvo has only 2 NHTSA complaints, and 72 problems reported.
- The most common problems with BMW are electrical issues, poor water seal around the body, and stalling engine, which has made it 13th among all 19 full-size SUVs.
- In terms of Reliability and Quality of both SUVs, JDpowers has awarded BMW X5 with 81 out of a hundred while Volvo XC90 has scored 70 out of 100.
- BMW X5 has more horsepower, but as the Engine runs on an engine, it is an expensive choice for an SUV. At the same time, Volvo uses gasoline and is run electric powered, making it a more efficient choice with the added 2.0 unite engine of turbocharging.
- In terms of life expectancy, BMW X5 has 150,000 to 200,000 miles, and Volvo XC90 has a lifespan of 200,000 to 250,000 miles.
Although all the features of both luxury SUVs are similar and almost equal. This makes Volvo XC90 a better and more economical choice. The choice is always yours, but in my personal opinion, Volvo XC90 is a better choice in terms of mileage.
Related: How Many Miles Will A BMW X5 Last?
Life Expectancy Of Volvo XC90 Car Parts
Volvo XC90 is a proud Scandinavian design manufactured to live for 20 years if taken care of. This being said, the parts of this car are high in quality.
As mentioned above, the parts added to the entire assembly make a huge difference as each part holds a chunk of life expectancy that adds to the entire life span.
This section will be dealing with different parts that make Volvo XC90 what it is!
Average Lifespan Of Volvo XC90 Brake Pads
It is common for the brake pads to be the first ones to wear out, depending on your driving habits.
When you start smelling a burning odor or hear screeching sounds that are when you need to change your brake pads, which is usually after 30,000 to 70,000 miles.
It is better to get your brake pads checked regularly. Once the brake pads wear out, it won’t take much time for your brake rotor to start demolishing. Therefore do not waste much time once the mileage crosses 30,000 miles.
Average Lifespan Of Volvo XC90 Battery
Depending on the weather conditions, constant shifts in the temperature, and the owners driving habits. The Volvo XC90 battery can run up to 3-5 years. Even after five years, it can be used if the battery is regularly maintained.
Volvo has its battery in the car’s trunk, where it is protected and not under the influence of harsh temperatures or weather shifts, making it last more than its said average life.
Average Lifespan Of Volvo XC90 Tires
Volvo XC90 uses high UTQG rating tires (500, 600, and up), which can round up two years, which is 35000 – 45,000 miles. It depends on the terrain of the drive and the drive. The average life of the tires has been calculated to be 180,000 miles.
All four tires should be switched from time to time for even wear and tear, which adds to the lifespan and maintains a smooth and powerful drive throughout.
Average Lifespan Of Volvo XC90 Transmission
The well-built SUV Volvo XC90 can go for more than 200,000 miles. The transmission, however, has a life expectancy of 130,000 to 180,000 miles. If the car is not maintained, there will be sluggish ignition and engine failure.
According to specialists, the T6 engine of the Volvo XC90 series needs to be avoided at all costs due to its early transmission failure.
Average Lifespan Of Volvo XC90 Spark Plugs
If your car suddenly starts to give reduced gas mileage and the check engine light is on, that is probably because your spark plugs are at the end of their life and need to be replaced. If not, there will be no proper ignition.
Usually, spark plugs of Volvo XC90 are replaced after 50,000 to 70,000 miles. It is better to have the spark plugs checked once in a while.
Average Lifespan Of Volvo XC90 Key Fob
Like all the modern cars, Volvo XC90 also has a power start button and no key. The key fob is important for ignition and stating of the car. Without the key fob, Volvo XC90 will not function.
The life of a key fob is estimated to be 3-5 years, but if used carefully and with care; it can work for as long as the car is being used, give or take 20 years.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Volvo XC90?
If you have decided to buy yourself one of these amazing cars, you have made the right decision. Volvo XC90 is a large-size luxury SUV.
According to the Volvo Moto Vehicle site, this car can last for 20 years if properly managed, which means it can even go up to 300,000 miles, as some owners reported.
The average Life expectancy of Volvo XC90 is 200,000 to 250,000 miles, after which expensive problems might start to arise.
According to specialists, you should not buy a Volvo XC90, which has covered 100,000 miles on an odometer, because there is a chance of expensive repairs and other issues.
It is better to look for a car that has been driven for almost 30,000 – 80,000 miles which will give you smoother 12-13 years of the drive without any issue if you maintain it.
However, if a car is properly maintained depending on the use and the driver, then a used Volvo XC90 over 100,000 miles is also a reliable and practical buy that will allow you almost ten years of good companionship.
How To Increase How Long Your Volvo XC90 Last
It is a promise of Volvo motor vehicles that the Volvo XC90 will live up to 20 years if properly maintained. The car has an average life expectancy of 200,000 – 250,000 miles, as mentioned above.
But if serviced regularly by specialists, it can live even beyond 250,000 miles. It is not uncommon to see 200,000 miles smoothly driven Volvo in Texas. That is how these cars are designed to be.
Here are a few things that the owner can do to boost the longevity and durability of the car.
- Regularly dust your car mats and clean the seat covers to avoid molds and other insects being attracted to food crumbs and sticky areas. It helps in avoiding any sort of unwanted odor.
- Keep a check on the engine oil and change it every once in a while for better transmission.
- It is better to change the filters of the engine regularly so there is no tar built up that can choke the engine.
- Do not use cheap parts when replacing brake pads, sparkplugs, filters, etc. try to use Volvo OEM parts for better drive and boosting the lifespan of the car.
- Drive consciously and carefully, over speeding and driving on tough terrains will quickly wear out certain parts.
- It is better to switch tires when driving on tough terrain. It maintains the integrity of the tires and increases their life expectancy.
There are many nitty-gritty things you can do to make your car last longer. The above-mentioned points are the major things every owner should practice.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Volvo XC90
Buying good quality and reliable cars does not mean they shouldn’t be maintained and taken care of. There are many things that can limit the life expectancy of your Volvo XC90.
Some of the problems that may limit the life expectancy of your car.
- Stalling engine.
- Worn out spark plugs and brake pads.
- Loss of electric power.
- Loss of key fob battery.
- Old engine oil.
- Old and worn-out tires.
The above mentioned are the most common problems that almost all the Volvo XC90 owners will face. It only needs maintenance and service from time to time.
Related: Volvo XC90 Starting Problems
What To Look For When Buying A Volvo XC90
When you decide to buy a used Volvo CX90, here are a few follow-ups needed that need to be taken to make a proper decision.
- Ownership – who owns the car and the trail of ownership history.
- Reason – the reason for selling the car.
- Covered Mileage – miles the car has covered
- Recurrent issues- any electrical or battery issues.
- Replacements – any parts that have been replaced in ownership tenure along with receipts.
- History of accidents and dents.
- For years this car has been in use by the owner.
Make yourself aware of the car you are about to buy and only then make a decision.
Related: Best And Worst Years For Volvo XC90
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The Volvo XC90 A Reliable Car?
Yes, Volvo XC90 is a very reliable car for a family of 7, as it has plenty of space. Apart from that, JDpowers has awarded this car a score of 70 out of 100, which is an average score.
Apart from that, the Luxury midsize SUVs awarded Volvo XC90 with 8th out of 14th position for Reliability of Volvo with a rating of 3.5 out of 5.
Making the claim of being an average reliable car, the Reliability index gave Volvo XC90 gave it a score of 127, giving it 23rd place. The summary is that Volvo XC90 is a good and reliable car.
Q2. Does Volvo XC90 Have A Lot Of Problems?
No, Volvo XC90 does not have any problems, though car complaints have reported a total of 72 problems over the years by owners.
Some of the common problems which can arise are:
- Transmission failure.
- Software upgrade failure.
- Climate control problems.
- Hard shifting.
- Oil leakage from AWD.
- Transmission slip.
With regular maintenance and servicing, these problems can be avoided.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used Volvo XC90?
Yes, if the car is used carefully for less than 100,000 miles read on an odometer, it is a good idea to buy the car.
Usually, a new car offers almost 20 years of life and partnership. If you buy a used Volvo XC90, some of the years will already be deducted.
If you can find a used Volvo XC90 in good condition and all original parts intact after being driven for 100,000 miles, it is also a good idea.
Q4. Does Volvo XC90 Rust Easily?
No, the body of the Volvo XC90 is fully rust proofed by galvanizing it properly. There is no room for rust. The zinc coating that is galvanized onto the body of the Volvo XC90 makes it very hard to corrode.
Q5. Is Volvo XC90 Expensive To Maintain?
No, Volvo XC90 can easily cross 150,000 miles without any expensive issue arising if the car is maintained from time to time.
It is better to get the car maintained and serviced by specialists after every 15000 miles. The average cost has been estimated to be $851.
The cost might triple if Volvo XC90 is not maintained for ten years, after which the maintenance cost estimated is to be $13,513.
Volvo XC90 is an amazing, durable, safe, and luxurious large SUV. It is made for bigger families of 7 and maintains the family requirements. It has a foldable baby chair.
In terms of features, Volvo XC90 offers self-tightening seat belts and automatic airbags. Navigation is a permanent feature.
The car is electric powered and field by gasoline in a 2.0 unit engine which has turbochargers and rechargers for maximizing the horsepower.
Having all those amazing features, the most important question is how long do Volvo XC90 last? Well, the answer to that is 200,000 -250,000 miles. With good care and regular maintenance, it can even live up to 300,000 miles.
Hi there! I am Tahir Azam, and this is my blog. WVDOT Automotive is a website dedicated to creating high-quality content for car enthusiasts. I am also an avid car driver. I own and drive a Porsche for my daily tasks. It is the perfect vehicle for my family. I am a proud father of two boys. I spend my mornings and evenings catering to clients at my very own software hub. After getting home, I dedicate a few hours of my time to create an article every day. Well, this is a short introduction about me and I am also a publisher on Amazon. I hope you enjoy reading through my articles, and I also hope that I may have helped you choose an upgrade for your vehicle.