The Mercedes-Benz GLC Class is an SUV designed for an amazing performance, even on a long route.
A few years back, the Mercedes was seen a bit jealous of its rivals Audi and BMW, so went for this one and this is a game-changer car with 9- speeds, five modes, and shifts that suits you.
This car is the 9-G- Tronic- 9-speed automatic is a very smooth drive that is sporty and smart. It has a 4.0 rating from auto express.
Moreover, Mercedes GLC has a 2.0 Liter engine that produces a horsepower of 254bhp, but how long do Mercedes GLC last?
The estimated average life expectancy for this car is 200,000 to 250,000 miles. Without any doubt, the Mercedes GLC is a spacious SUV with a 40-20-40 distribution allowing seven passengers to easily settle.
With the different modes and features this car has to offer. It can accelerate from 0 to 60mph in about 6.5 seconds. Though the SUVs are many to choose from, as said, this is the ultimate designed SUV, and there is no better design.
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Mercedes GLC?
The SUV is the new favorite with such amazing features and innovative safety specs. The Mercedes GLC is also available in a 4MATIC that continuously sends the wheels torque signals, making the ride comfortable and smooth.
Apart from that, the Mercedes GLC has voice recognition intelligence as well. It can turn conversational language into cockpit control.
The maintenance for this car is not as frequent as it is a sturdy and reliable car. It can go on for miles before any repairs are needed.
This also depends on the driving habits and the car parts already installed in the car, which will be discussed later. While the car has unmatched features; the life expectancy for the car is estimated to be 200,000 to 250,000 miles.
Does Mercedes GLC Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
It is a known fact that a few years back, a Mercedes had a jealousy phase when Audi and BMW launched their SUVs over the years. But now Mercedes has made the ultimate SUV which has emerged even better.
While the competitors are now coming slow, with amazing cars becoming close to the competition, a few alternates to focus on other than Mercedes GLC.
1. Mercedes GLC Vs. Volvo XC60
Among the SUVs, Volvo CX60 is the top running seven-seater that has been known as one of the spacious and classy cars.
It has good mileage and is very economical. It is one of the cars that has come much closer to Mercedes-BENZ GLC Class in the best competition.
- While it may come as a surprise but Volvo XC60 does not have any complaints on the file yet but has over 172 problems reported by the owners.
- On the other hand, Mercedes GLC has 17 complaints on file and has 53 problems detected.
- Among the serious problems with Volvo CX60, 2 NHTSA complaints against it.
- Both cars are 7-seater SUVs, while Volvo CX60 has a T6 standard 2.0 engine unit while Mercedes GLC has a 9 Tronic 2.0 Liter unit engine making it more powerful.
- Regarding quality and reliability, Volvo CX60 has scored 70 out of 100 from JD powers, while Mercedes GLC has scored 78 out of 100.
- The life expectancy of Mercedes is 200,000 to 250,000 miles, while Volvo has a similar life expectancy.
For better or for worse, Volvo CX60 is a good alternative when you cannot find or afford a Mercedes GLC, but in this comparison, the GLC Class is the proud winner and a better option.
Related: How Many Miles Will A Volvo XC60 Last?
Mercedes GLC Vs. BMW X3
While the BMW X3 is a luxury SUV, it has become a very tough competitor of the Mercedes GLC. Having almost similar safety focus, these SUVs are amazing and durable.
- BWM X3 is a tough competitor, and there were times when BMW was far ahead of Mercedes in car designs.
- BMW X3 falls a little short as Mercedes-Benz GLC Class has plenty of passenger and cargo space in terms of capacity.
- According to car complaints, BMW X3 has 147 complaints on file and 187 problems reported by owners. On the other hand, Mercedes GLC has 17 complaints about the bits and 53 reported problems.
- In terms of reliability and Quality from the JD powers site, the BMW X3 has been awarded 81 out of 100, while Mercedes GLC scored 78 out of 100.
- According to fuel consumption, the BMW X3 is a little heavy on mileage as it has a diesel engine.
- The life expectancy of the BMW X3 is 150,000 to 200,000 miles, while that of the Mercedes GLC is 200,000 to 250,000 miles.
Both cars are amazing, and BMW X3 has a reputation that is upheld in the market, but with similar features and amazing consumption, the Mercedes GLC might be a better option than X3.
Related: How Long Does A BMW X3 Last?
3. Mercedes GLC Vs. Audi Q5
Although Audi Q5 is an amazing car in all aspects, it is a 5-seater whereas Mercedes GLC is a similar size car and can accommodate seven passengers and still have plenty of space.
Both SUVs have merits and demerits. Let’s find out what.
- The Audi Q5 is a 2.0 Liter turbo-inline 4, while the Mercedes GLC has a 9G- Tronic- automatic 2.0 Liter engine.
- According to car complaints, Audi Q5 has 158 and 213 problems reported by the owners, while Mercedes GLC has 17 complaints on file and 53 problems reported.
- In terms of Quality and Reliability, Audi Q5 has been awarded 63 out of 100, while Mercedes GLC has been awarded 78 out of 100.
- The life expectancy of Audi Q5 is 150,000 to 200,000 miles, while that of Mercedes GLC is 200,000 to 250,000 miles.
Both cars are amazing. While some might find Mercedes-Benz GLC Class a little too big for the Audi Q5 is a better option. In terms of engine and life expectancy, Mercedes GLC is a winner.
Related: How Many Miles Can An Audi Q5 Last?
Life Expectancy Of Mercedes GLC Car Parts
As mentioned above, Mercedes GLC car parts are as important as the engine and its features. Each part of Mercedes GLC is made to accurately influence the car in a better way.
This section of the article focuses on car parts and how they live years to the car overall.
Average Lifespan Of Mercedes GLC Brake Pads
Even though they are made of heavy-duty rubber, with careless driving, you can smell them burning after a certain time. Once the brake pads are worn out, it will directly affect the rotors.
It is advised to inspect the brake pads after every 10,000 miles if they need to be replaced. At the same time, the average estimated lifespan of the brake pads is 30,000 to 70,000 miles.
Average Lifespan Of Mercedes GLC Battery
The new hybrid batteries are designed to last for 6-8 years which is 80,000 miles, but when it comes to a sturdy car like Mercedes GLC, the battery can last over 150,000 miles even though the estimated lifespan of the batter is 3 – 5 years which is 80,000 to 100,000 miles.
But owners have reported being using the same battery for over 80,000 miles. This does not mean the battery is in optimal condition.
Average Lifespan Of Mercedes GLC Tires
For such a heavy-duty car, the tires are under constant strain, so they wear out much sooner. Over time the life expectancy of Mercedes GLC tires may increase with mindful driving and conventional habits.
Still, after 20,000 miles, the tires need to be changed as the average estimated lifespan is 10,000 to 20,000 miles. For longer use, rotate the tires after every 5000 miles.
Average Lifespan Of Mercedes GLC Transmission
If you keep refilling the transmission fluid and maintain the engine oil, your transmission can even outlive the car.
For this very reason, the average lifespan of the transmission is estimated to be over 200,000 to 250,000 miles.
The Mercedes GLC is designed to have a life past 250,000 miles. A little maintenance and service are all you need to keep the car good as new.
Average Lifespan Of Mercedes GLC Spark Plugs
As mentioned above, the car parts, such as a spark plug, are of premium quality and are designed to last over 70,000 to 100,000 miles with maintenance and care. It is better to replace the spark plugs after 70,000 miles before they break down.
The Mercedes GLC is designed to be properly serviced after 50,000 miles and inspected for repair. That is when the spark plugs need to be serviced as well.
Average Lifespan Of Mercedes GLC Key Fob
Like every new car, the Mercedes GLC is electric-powered as well, and the command is given to it by the key fob. Adding new batteries always helps. It costs you around $550 for a new key fob, so you need to take care of the one you have.
It is an estimated time of 3-4 years when the key fob may wear out. It may take over 200,000 miles for your key fob to give up, which is also just an estimation.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Mercedes GLC?
Finding a Mercedes GLC is a blessing. Such cars are normally not available for sale but congratulations on finally deciding to buy a Mercedes GLC.
The car has a life expectancy of 200,000 to 250,000 miles which means any mileage near is a no-no. A car that drove past 150,000 miles on an odometer is not a good purchase.
When you look for a used Mercedes GLC, the best mileage you can look for is 40,000 to 60,000 miles, giving you a smooth drive for another 15 years if you maintain it.
If you find a well maintained Mercedes-Benz GLC Class that has been driven for 100,000 miles then it is also a good option.
How To Increase How Long Your Mercedes GLC Last
When it comes to increasing your car’s life, the main thing is to take care of it and maintain it according to the maintenance schedule available online.
The maintenance schedule is available online, and if you call the company, they can explain it as well.
- Get the car rustproofed to inhibit any kind of corrosive activity. Get a professional rustproofer to do it for you.
- Keep the car clean as damp or moist spots can induce fungal and mold growths.
- Drive carefully without overspeeding as it may wear the brakes out and the engine.
- Change the engine air filters after every 10,000 miles. It is better to rotate the tires for a longer life span.
- Keep yourself away from unnecessary off-roading, and overspeeding can damage the brake pads, tires, and even the rotors.
- Change the brake pads after every 30,000 miles, or the rotors will also wear out.
- Replace the spark plugs after 70,000 miles to have a smooth running engine and proper ignition.
- Refill the transmission fluid after every 20,000 miles. It is better to keep a check on engine oil and change it every 10,000 miles.
- Frequently get the car serviced and get an inspection of the braking system, steering system, and even the suspension system.
- Do not lose the key fob. Add a key chain. Keep the key fob battery fresh every three years for better car functioning.
The checklist given above is just a part that every owner needs to add for the car’s life expectancy. There are other things to practice for better maintenance of the car and increasing the lifespan.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Mercedes GLC
With neglect and no maintenance, the life expectancy of a Mercedes GLC can come down to even 150,000 miles. This limiting part falls on the owner for not providing the required care.
Here are a few things that can limit the life expectancy of the GLC Class.
- Key fob battery replacement needs to be done every three years, or the car may stop responding.
- Old air filters that are supposed to be changed can clog the engine and cause it to shut down.
- An unchanged brake belt can tear off and cause the car to stop suddenly and even cause smoke.
- Unmaintained suspension and steering system can cause a noisy drive and delayed shifting.
- Neglect on the transmission fluid and spark plugs can cause transmission failure and jerks on acceleration.
- Old engine oil and excessive speeding can cause a burning smell from under the hood.
- Old or un-replaced spark plugs can cause vibration on acceleration and even ignition problems, such as low power to the tires and even engine damage.
- Unchanged car parts can cause whistling sounds from under the hood.
- Old engine oil and faulty ignition can cause delays in shifting.
Here is a list of things that can cause the life expectancy of Mercedes GLC to be limited. The reason is neglect and carelessness.
What To Look For When Buying A Mercedes GLC
It is almost impossible for anyone to find a good Mercedes GLC now due to its amazing specs everyone wants to keep t to themselves. If you somehow manage to find a car this is amazing.
- For starters never just look at pictures, see the car in person, and check the rims and tires.
- See if there are any dents and scratched which can tell you much about the driving habits of the owner.
- Ask the owner about the original documents and who has them, make sure to check the brake pads, rotors, and even the engine.
- The transmission should be checked properly.
- It would be better to have test drive to see if there is any noise coming from the hood or any burning smell.
- Keep an eye on the fuel consumption and also the mileage the car has covered. These are just a few things to be vigilant about.
Make sure to get satisfactory answers. Also, make sure to see all the documentation and the papers that need to be filled in before the car is paid for.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The Mercedes GLC A Reliable Car?
Yes, with a score of 78 out of 100 from JD powers and a 4-star rating from consumers’ reports, the Mercedes GLC is a reliable car for daily and long-distance commuting.
The car is sturdy and has a durable life expectancy that is unmatched. In terms of reliability, the safety concerns are all answered.
Q2. Does Mercedes GLC Have A Lot Of Problems?
The Mercedes GLC does not have many problems, which means it is a sturdy and durable car. Even according to consumer reports, it is 4.0 out of 5.
It is the ultimate design for SUVs and has a beautiful exterior that is easy to move in tight spots. The only problem is that it makes much noise when the full lock is on. Apart from that, there is nothing that your local mechanic cannot fix.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used Mercedes GLC?
Yes, the car has a life expectancy of 200,000 to 250,000 and has been a partner for over 17 years. The car is reliable and durable in every aspect. If you manage to find a Mercedes GLC driven for less than 100,000 miles, you are in for a treat.
The 7-seater Mercedes GLC is the best car to choose among all SUVs in terms of safety and longer routes when you need to make pit stops every once in a while. This car is also fuel conservative and economical.
Q4. Does Mercedes GLC Rust Easily?
No, the Mercedes is made to be the ultimate SUV. Every part of the car is full, though, even the damage control. The car’s body before the paint is galvanized in zinc solution evenly which makes it rust and corrosion-free.
On the other hand, it is better to get the car rust proofed if you live in a fluctuating temperature because the paint can sometimes be corrosive and the winter slush.
Q5. Is Mercedes GLC Expensive To Maintain?
No, it can be assumed that the Mercedes GLC will be heavy on the pocket in terms of maintenance, but it is not the case.
This car has a very low chance of repairs before 200,000 miles, and the annual maintenance and repair cost has been estimated to be $1,039.
Having an amazing exterior and even more amazing drive, the Mercedes GLC is the ultimate SUV made for seven passengers and tons of cargo.
The car can be used for vacations and even carpools with a powerful engine and amazing horsepower production. It is safe to drive and has all the protective measures considered. The style and design is just complementary blessing.
Apart from all the features and specs, the main question is: How long do Mercedes GLC last? The car can last over 200,000 to 250,000 miles if taken care of properly according to the maintenance schedule.
Hi there! I am Tahir Azam, and this is my blog. WVDOT Automotive is a website dedicated to creating high-quality content for car enthusiasts. I am also an avid car driver. I own and drive a Porsche for my daily tasks. It is the perfect vehicle for my family. I am a proud father of two boys. I spend my mornings and evenings catering to clients at my very own software hub. After getting home, I dedicate a few hours of my time to creating an article every day. Well, this is a short introduction about me and I am also a publisher on Amazon. I hope you enjoy reading through my articles, and I also hope that I may have helped you choose an upgrade for your vehicle.