The Jeep Wrangler is one of the most reliable SUVs available. It has been around since 1986 and has been loved by users since its inception. This can be seen because the SUV has had more than 100000 sales every year since its debut.
You may be wondering how long do Jeep Wranglers last? When you look at the answer, you are not going to believe it. The Wrangler has a maximum lifespan of an eye-watering 400000 miles, which is the best I have ever seen in any vehicle, apart from Tesla. There is no doubt that it is loved and cherished by anyone who buys it.
This article is divided into sections, and each section will get into deeper details about the Jeep Wrangler. By the end of this page, you will have finally known if the Wrangler is worth considering or not.
Everything will be covered, from direct competition with SUVs in the same class to the reliability of the hardware. So, I suggest that you strap in for the ride.
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Jeep Wrangler?
The introduction gave you a brief peek into the amazing lifespan of the Jeep Wrangler. This section will discuss that topic even further.
So, 400000 miles is a huge number. This translates to roughly 27 years of service life. I will say this again. I have not seen any vehicle that runs on gasoline and can last that long.
Even with the Wrangler, things are not always great. Parts such as the transmission have a chance of failing, which is something to be aware of.
The lifespan of the hardware is another thing you should be aware of, which will be discussed later on in this article. This is just a sneak peek of the information that will be detailed in this article. So, I suggest that you continue reading.
Does Jeep Wrangler Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
The first main thing that this article will accomplish is to find out just how good the Jeep Wrangler is. There are many things to know in this regard. I will put it up against three of its top competitors to let you know where it stands.
Let’s get started!
1. Jeep Wrangler Vs. Toyota FJ Cruiser
The FJ Cruiser is Toyota’s take on a retro-styled SUV that packs a lot of performance under the hood. Its V6 engine can pump out decent performance, but the main things to be concerned about will be discussed below.
- The first thing that will be compared is the number of complaints. To be exact, the Jeep Wrangler has accumulated a number that is just north of 2000 and 2063.
- The Toyota FJ Cruiser, on the other hand, has only 122. That is a massive difference and gives the FJ Cruiser the win.
- Next up, we will be comparing the reliability. The data for this test has been taken from JDPower.
- The last model of the Toyota FJ Cruiser was the 2015 one, and it managed to earn an amazing 85 out of a 100 in terms of reliability. The latest and greatest Jeep Wrangler model has a rating of 80, which is significantly lesser.
- The Toyota FJ Cruiser has an expected lifespan of 300000 miles.
- It does not stand a chance against the 400000 miles that the Jeep Wrangler can do, but it is not half bad. It is as good as 99% of other SUVs on the market. But the Wrangler is the clear winner here.
Although the Toyota FJ Cruiser cannot last as long as the Jeep Wrangler, it has won this competition. It is more reliable, even though it has been discontinued. It also has fewer complaints, which has helped it earn the win.
2. Jeep Wrangler Vs. Toyota 4Runner
Another Toyota vehicle that has made its way onto this list is the 4Runner. This one is yet another solid SUV that is reliable and exceptionally reliable.
Let’s see if it can beat the Jeep Wrangler.
- The Toyota 4Runner has amassed more complaints than the Toyota FJ Cruiser, mostly because it is still in production as of writing this article.
- That said, a total of 600 complaints is not bad. And it looks pretty good when compared to 2000 that the Jeep Wrangler has accumulated over the years.
- The Jeep Wrangler earned an 80 in terms of reliability. It is an extremely good number, but the Toyota 4Runner overtakes it by two points.
- It has managed to score an 82, which is even better. This means that the Toyota 4Runner is a more reliable SUV than the Jeep Wrangler.
- Once again, this Toyota vehicle tops out at a maximum of 300000 miles. That is a fantastic number, and it also means that it will be able to last most users for around 20 years. But the Jeep Wrangler’s 27 years of service life is simply unbeatable. So, it is the winner.
The trend continues with the Jeep Wrangler outshining its counterpart in only one round. It came close but could not topple the Toyota 4Runner in this competition. So, the 4Runner is the winner of this competition.
Related: How Many Miles Will A Toyota 4Runner Last?
3. Jeep Wrangler Vs. Land Rover Defender
The final SUV that will be put up against the Jeep Wrangler is the Land Rover Defender. It is extremely popular in the United Kingdom.
Let’s see if it can match up with its U.S counterpart.
- Well, this was unexpected. The Land Rover Defender has no complaints at all! Yes, I am sure that there have been no complaints about it, which means it is the ultimate SUV between the two. Compare it with 2000 of the Jeep Wrangler, and it does not even look like a fair comparison.
- Although it may have no complaints, the Land Rover Defender is not that reliable. It has a reliability rating of 73, one of the lowest I have seen in any SUVs. The Jeep Wrangler is sitting at a comfortable 80, giving it the easy win in this second round of the competition.
- The Jeep Wrangler has beaten the Rand Rover Defender by a huge margin over here. Although it was clear that it would win, the difference is huge this time. The Land Rover Defender can last for a maximum of 200000 miles, which is dwarfed by the Wrangler’s 400000 miles.
The Jeep Wrangler finally defeated a vehicle. It is not a small win but is huge. Even though the Land Rover Defender has zero complaints, it is still less reliable and cannot last nearly as long.
Life Expectancy of Jeep Wrangler Car Parts
This section of the article is one I mentioned before. Here I will be discussing the life expectancy of the parts of the Jeep Wrangler. You will get to know if the manufacturer has cut any corners and learn about replacement hardware and its cost.
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Wrangler Brake Pads
The OEM brake pads of the Jeep Wrangler are pretty good. 70k miles is their maximum lifespan, and the minimum is 30k miles. This is as good as any other OEM pads I have researched upon.
These numbers translate from 2 to 4.5 years, which is great. The reason for this is replacement pads cost a few hundred dollars only.
The question arises: Why is there such a huge difference in the minimum and maximum lifespan of Jeep Wrangler’s brake pads? Well, the only factor that can affect this is driving habits.
Sudden braking and jerking will lead to less brake pad life than slowly halting to a stop.
So, if you are finding yourself replacing the brake pads on your Jeep Wrangler sooner often than later, then you might need to ease on the brakes. This will dramatically improve the lifespan.
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Wrangler Battery
The battery of the Jeep Wrangler is a traditional one. As the vehicle has a gasoline-run engine, there is no need for a beefy battery.
This does not mean that the one on the Wrangler is bad. Its life is around three to five years, which is great. This is also just as good as all other OEM batteries on different vehicles.
People who live in places with high temperatures or drive in extreme conditions may find their lifespan tipping towards the three-year range.
Conventional lead-acid batteries don’t work great in such conditions. So, when the time comes to buy a replacement, my advice is that you should get an AGM battery.
It costs a bit more but is worth it. A bonus of owning this battery is that you will not need to open the hood of your Jeep Wrangler every few months and fill the battery up with water. It is a maintenance-free upgrade.
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Wrangler Tires
The tires on the Jeep Wrangler, that ship from the factory, have been designed for off-roading. This is great as you will not have to spend more money getting specialized tires.
These tires can handle being driven for up to 50000 miles, which is insane. Generic OEM tires last as long, and they cannot even be used for off-roading purposes.
The lifespan of the tires of the Jeep Wrangler can be reduced due to a variety of factors. Not rotating them can result in uneven wear, and some tires need replacement much quicker than others.
Some are so bad that they will not be able to last for even 10000 miles. So, you should be extra careful when buying tires for your SUV. You should also never save money when buying new tires for your Jeep Wrangler.
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Wrangler Transmission
Unfortunately, the transmission of the Jeep Wrangler cannot last as long as the vehicle itself. It has an expected lifespan of anywhere between 130000 and 180000 miles.
This is as good as most SUVs and trucks that I have seen. So, you should not worry that the transmission build quality is subpar.
One thing to note is that transmission repairs or replacements do not come cheap. Costs can be in the thousands of dollars range.
This is normal for high mileage vehicles. In the case of the Jeep Wrangler, if you have your transmission replaced, there is a good chance that the new one will fail too.
This will be towards the end of the SUV’s lifespan, as the transmission will have been used for more than 150000 miles. So, there are not all pros to owning a vehicle that can last for such a long time!
Related: What Are The Jeep Wrangler Transmission Problems?
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Wrangler Spark Plugs
Jeep itself recommends that the Jeep Wrangler should be changed once every 100000 miles. This is great, and the company actually recognizes the capabilities of the plugs it uses.
This means that the ones that are preinstalled on the Jeep Wrangler are most probably iridium spark plugs. They are the best ones available.
So, when it comes to buying replacement spark plugs for your Jeep Wrangler, you should make sure to replace all of them at the same time.
This will ensure reliable performance. You should also make sure to buy plugs of the same quality and of the same brand. Never mix and match spark plugs. This will result in issues in the future.
In the case of the Wrangler, you should not consider any other spark plug other than an iridium one. Copper and silver ones are out of the equation completely.
Average Lifespan Of Jeep Wrangler Key Fob
There have been little to no complaints related to the key fob of the Jeep Wrangler. There will be no button failing or the key not being able to be detected by the SUV.
So, if this is something you are worried about, I can assure you that you have nothing to be concerned about. There have been some reports of the issue happening, but they are isolated enough to conclude that they are not widespread.
One thing that needs attention is the battery. It will need to be replaced every few years, which is acceptable considering the fact that a new battery costs a few dollars only.
You should never lose the key to your Jeep Wrangler. Replacements can cost as much as $400, which is straight-up insane. So, you should make sure not to lose your Wrangler’s key fob.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Jeep Wrangler?
The Jeep Wrangler is an SUV that has been built to last. You can buy it at high mileage, and if it has been kept in good condition, you will not have any issues driving or using it.
What is the maximum mileage after which a Wrangler should not be considered? My advice is to not buy anyone that has more than 150,000 miles on the odometer.
You can certainly buy a Jeep that has reached 200,000. But its hardware will be worn off to the point that it may spend more time at the workshop rather than with you.
So, you should be extra careful when buying a used vehicle, Jeep Wrangler or not.
How To Increase How Long Your Jeep Wrangler Last
No matter what magic Jeep does to make the Jeep Wrangler reliable, something can always be done to improve the lifespan even further.
As the vehicle has a gasoline engine, the reliability and life expectancy of the SUV can be improved using many methods.
Let me list down some of the more common ways:
- Follow strict maintenance schedules.
- Make sure any repair, if needed, is addressed immediately.
- Make sure there is no build-up of carbon or sludge.
- Rotate the tires every 5000 miles.
- Use high-quality replacement hardware.
- Get the vehicle inspected every six months.
The final option is the best one as it will cover all the other ones too. These are some of the many ways which will ensure that the Jeep Wrangler can be driven for its advertised 400000 miles.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Jeep Wrangler
The Jeep Wrangler, according to JDPower, has managed to earn a very decent 80 out of a 100 in terms of reliability. This does say that it is a reliable SUV but does not say that it does have its own issues.
This section of the article will discuss some of the major problems that have been discovered by owners of the Jeep Wrangler over the years.
- Oil leakage has been reported by many owners of the Jeep Wrangler.
- Quick battery drain is another issue, which suggests that there is an issue in the electrical system.
- Reduced fuel economy has also been reported in a few models of the Jeep Wrangler.
- Some owners also reported that the Wrangler has a death wobble, which makes steering impossible. This can result in a serious accident.
- The TIPM has also been known to fail on this SUV. It is the Totally Integrated Power Module, which controls the electrical system’s functionality.
As you can see, these issues are pretty serious. They can occur on any Jeep Wrangler, but they have a low chance of occurrence.
The main purpose of listing these problems was to enlighten you about the fact that they have a chance of occurring. They should not deter you from buying this amazing SUV.
Related: Jeep Wrangler Starting Problems
What To Look For When Buying A Jeep Wrangler
Buying a used Jeep Wrangler is a great option. You are getting the same vehicle but at a significantly lower cost. You may be wondering about all the things to check in a used Jeep Wrangler.
There is no doubt a huge list as opposed to just purchasing a new SUV. But if you are willing to go through with it, it will be more viable.
Things to check when buying this SUV are:
- Check if the SUV has been maintained at regular intervals.
- Test drive the Jeep Wrangler to ensure there are no inconsistencies.
- Convince the seller to get the SUV inspected.
- Check accident history.
- Check ownership history.
All of these things should be done, but only after you have checked the mileage. You should buy an SUV that has lesser than 250000 miles on the odometer.
Believe me. There will be a lot of them. So, you should choose carefully before finalizing your decision.
Related: Best And Worst Years For Jeep Wrangler
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The Jeep Wrangler A Reliable SUV?
The Jeep Wrangler is an extremely reliable SUV. It scored an 80, which is pretty good. Although this number may not be as high as some other competitors, it is still good enough.
The SUV is dependable and will not fail on you unexpectedly. Chances of sudden repairs are also low.
Q2. Does Jeep Wrangler Have A Lot Of Problems?
No, it does not. Yes, there may be smaller problems, but those are found in all vehicles. In the case of the Jeep Wrangler, the main issues were listed above.
If you want them summarized, the issues of the Jeep Wrangler belong to the following categories:
- Steering issues.
- Fuel system issues.
- Engine problems.
- Electrical problems.
If you want more details, then I suggest that you should scroll up to read the dedicated section of the article.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used Jeep Wrangler?
I have not hidden the fact that I recommend buying a used Jeep Wrangler. It has a maximum lifespan of 400000 miles, which means a used one can be driven for up to 250000 miles for you to consider it. The SUV is reliable enough to be bought in preowned condition.
Q4. Does Jeep Wrangler Rust Easily?
Rusting is to be expected with the Jeep Wrangler if it is used for off-roading purposes. Mud containing moisture can kickstart the process, and there is no stopping it.
What I can assure you of is, rusting is a slow process on the Wrangler. So, you really don’t have much to worry about. It will definitely not reduce its lifespan.
Q5. Is Jeep Wrangler Expensive To Maintain?
Indeed, it is. The Jeep Wrangler is not cheap to maintain. It has a maintenance cost of $10397 for the first ten years, which is $1500 higher than the average for SUVs in the same class.
This is something to be aware of if you are thinking of buying it for long-term use.
There you have it folks, a detailed analysis of the reliability and the longevity of the Jeep Wrangler.
I know you clicked on this article to get the answer to the question of how long do Jeep Wranglers last, but I hope that the additional information may have helped you in making a more informed decision about buying this SUV.
There is no denying that the Wrangler is a superb SUV. It has been designed for off-roading and is a great choice for anyone looking for something powerful. If you are willing to pay the extra for maintenance, I will definitely recommend it to you.
Hi there! I am Tahir Azam, and this is my blog. WVDOT Automotive is a website dedicated to creating high-quality content for car enthusiasts. I am also an avid car driver. I own and drive a Porsche for my daily tasks. It is the perfect vehicle for my family. I am a proud father of two boys. I spend my mornings and evenings catering to clients at my very own software hub. After getting home, I dedicate a few hours of my time to creating an article every day. Well, this is a short introduction about me and I am also a publisher on Amazon. I hope you enjoy reading through my articles, and I also hope that I may have helped you choose an upgrade for your vehicle.