The Ford Escape is a small SUV with a reputation for versatility, comfort, and cargo capacity. Because of its size and qualities, it appeals to a large number of people.
It is also worth noting that the Ford Escape is the ideal road excursion vehicle or big family vehicle, with seating for five and an above-average baggage room.
This vehicle is said to be loved by many families because it is one of the best family-friendly vehicles on the market. But of course, before you decide on purchasing this vehicle, you need to learn more about it.
You probably ask, how long do Ford Escapes last? Ford Escapes are infamous for being short-lived, with the standard mileage being approximately 150,000 miles on the odometer.
Keep in mind that various users have gotten it up to 250,000 miles. However, this is the upper limit for this vehicle, so don’t anticipate your Ford Escape to last for that long time.
So with that being said, let’s discuss the Ford Escape’s longevity and how you can extend it and take care of your vehicle.
I have also accommodated a frequently asked questions section at the end of this article, so make sure you read that as well as it will be beneficial for you and extend your knowledge on this vehicle.
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Ford Escape?
A Ford Escape’s lifetime is determined by how well it is maintained. The car can provide around 12 years of excellent service based on the model’s average mileage, which is up to 150,000 miles.
You must understand that if you drive the Ford Escape in bad weather, it will only last up to 150,000 miles.
However, it is also worth noting that the Ford Escape mileage might also be able to reach up to 250,000 miles only if it is given proper treatment and regular maintenance.
It is also said that you will not be able to get a lot of mileage out of an older model year. This is because they are prone to problems and can get damaged easily. It is highly suggested to go for model years from 2017 or 2018.
Does Ford Escape Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
To see whether a Ford Escape is truly a reliable and long-lasting vehicle, it is important to compare it with other compact SUVs and its top competitors.
So without further ado, let’s get into it!
1. Ford Escape Vs. Honda CR-V
It is said that customers will like the spacious interiors of the Honda CR-V and the Ford Escape. This makes it simple to transport the complete family all around town without the hassle of driving a large SUV.
But which crossover is the most suitable for you?
- The Ford Escape and the Honda CR-V can last up to 150,000 miles on the odometer.
- The J.D. Power gave the Honda CR-V 84 out of 100 for the expected dependability rating, whereas the Ford Escape received 86 out of 100.
- The Repair Pal gave Ford Escape reliability scores of 4.0 out of 5, and the Honda CR-V received 4.5 out of 5.
- The Ford Escape is known for rusting more slowly than the Honda CR-V.
- The Ford Escape has better fuel efficiency than the Honda Cr-V.
- The turbocharged engine of the Ford Escape is more powerful than the Honda CR-V.
- The towing capacity of the Ford Escape is also a lot more than the Honda CR-V.
- The Ford Escape has around 4208 complaints in 20 model years, whereas the Honda CR-V has around 3047 complaints in more than 24 model years.
It seems like Ford Escape outperforms the Honda CR-V in various factors. Even though both of them have the same longevity, it is worth noting that the Ford Escape is more powerful.
However, the Ford Escape has a lot more complaints, so be sure to do some research on it to see whether it is worth buying or not.
Related: How Long Will A Honda CR-V Last?
2. Ford Escape Vs. Mazda CX-5
The Ford Escape combines hybrid excellence with average seat and interior quality in a fiercely competitive class. The Mazda CX-5, on the other hand, places a premium on aesthetics and agility over more traditional crossover characteristics like space.
But let’s compare the two to see which one is a better option.
- The Mazda CX-5 can last longer than the Ford Escape as it can easily reach 200,000 miles up to 250,000 miles. But if the Ford Escape is well-taken care of, it can also reach 250,000 miles.
- The Mazda CX-5 received 81 out of 100 by J.D. Power, which is less than Ford Escape’s scores.
- The Repair Pal gave the Mazda CX-5 a reliability score of 4.5 out of 5, which is more than the scores of the Ford Escape.
- The Ford Escape is less expensive than the Mazda CX-5.
- The Mazda CX-5 has a limited turbo power, whereas the Ford Escape is well known for its high turbo power.
- The fuel efficiency in the city for both vehicles is the same; 22 mpg, but on the highway, the Ford Escape is more efficient; at 37 mpg.
- The cargo capacity of the Ford Escape is more than the Mazda CX-5.
- The Mazda CX-5 has around 366 complaints in more than 8 model years, which is less than Ford Escape’s complaints.
Overall, these vehicles are long-lasting and reliable, with excellent scores. Still, the Ford Escape has a lot of complaints that might make you question its reliability and longevity. You should see how serious the problems are before buying it.
Related: Mazda CX-5 Life Expectancy
3. Ford Escape Vs. Nissan Rogue
The Nissan Rogue and the Ford Escape are models of compact crossovers among the most popular vehicles on the path. Both five-seat SUVs focus on safety and integrity without sacrificing cutting-edge technology or premium extras.
As a result, both of these greatest sellers are winners. But it is still important to compare.
- The Nissan Rogue can last more than the Ford Escape to reach up to 200,000 miles.
- The J.D. Power gave the Nissan Rogue a reliability score of 82 out of 100, less than the scores Ford Escape received.
- Both the Ford Escape and the Nissan Rogue have a reliability score of 4.0 out of 5 by the Repair Pal.
- The Ford Escape has a more stylish interior and exterior than the Nissan Rogue.
- The Ford Escape has better features and a turbo engine than the Nissan Rogue.
- The Nissan Rogue is more spacious and comfortable to ride in than the Ford Escape.
- The Ford Escape has better fuel efficiency and is good on gas but better on hybrid, whereas the Nissan Rogue is also good with a hybrid powertrain.
- The Nissan Rogue has about 1100 complaints in more than 14 model years, which is again less than Ford Escape’s complaints.
There are plenty of great features in the Ford Escape, making it a better option. It is also worth mentioning that this vehicle has better and more safety features even though it has a lot of complaints.
It is best to research the complaints and problems history to have a better idea.
Related: Nissan Rogue Life Expectancy
Life Expectancy Of Ford Escape Car Parts
Without its vehicle parts, the Ford Escape would be nothing, so you must keep them up to date at all times. I’ll go over the most significant automotive parts and how long they last so you can get a better idea.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Escape Brake Pads
Ford Escape brakes have 30,000 miles up to 60,000 miles service life span. They won’t survive relatively lengthy if you drive erratically. However, the driver’s driving style may have an impact on their stability.
Every 10,000 miles to 15,000 miles, Ford recommends getting your brakes checked to last for a long period without causing any troubles, and if there are some minor issues, they can get fixed before getting too serious.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Escape Battery
Ford Escape’s batteries can last up to 300,000 kilometers. You would not require changing your batteries before buying a modern Ford Escape because most of them don’t last more than 250,000 miles.
If you expect to rehabilitate them with any intention, plan to spend around $5000 on new ones. The batteries can cost a lot to replace, so keeping a close check is highly recommended.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Escape Tires
Most of the Ford Escape tires last up to 20,500 miles. However, this is only the case if the vehicle is installed with Goodyear tires. But there is also nothing to worry about, though, since most Ford Escape vehicles are installed with those tires.
To make them last for a long time, you must rotate them every 5000 miles or 7000 miles so they can stay durable. Also, make sure the tires are even from all sides because uneven tires can cause serious accidents.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Escape Transmission
Ford Escape transmission systems have 80,000 miles up to 180,000 miles. However, proper maintenance might be able to broaden their assistance life.
It is also important to note that approximately $1,300 is required to replace the transmission system. However, the cost will depend on how much damage has been caused if the transmission is not well taken care of.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Escape Spark Plugs
Your spark plugs should last approximately 100,000 kilometers. If it takes a long time to turn on the automobile, the automobile consumes extra fuel than conventional.
It is also worth noting that if the vehicle strides at a slower speed, then it is time you may require replacing the spark plugs from the Ford Escape.
Average Lifespan Of Ford Escape Key Fob
A small battery is used to power the key fob of the Ford Escape. If the Ford Escape has a smart key fob’s battery might last for two years to 3 years, whereas if your Ford Escape has a standard key fob, then the battery may live for four years to 6 years.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Ford Escape?
If you are looking for a used Ford Escape, then a good mileage is around 130,000 miles on the odometer. This is because the automobile might not have as many issues as with low mileage.
Always make sure to buy a vehicle with high mileage to last longer. Furthermore, if you provide proper care and maintenance, it can easily reach up to 250,000 miles on the odometer.
It will also be less likely to have any issues and would not require repairs or replacements.
How To Increase How Long Your Ford Escape Last
Here are some tips and tricks you can follow to prolong the life of your Ford Escape, so make sure to read until the end.
- If you are a hard driver, your brakes might not last long, so get them checked out every 10,000 miles up to 15,000 miles.
- Make sure to install Goodyear tires in the Ford Escape.
- Use high-quality spark plugs so they can last longer.
- Use high-quality fluids for your vehicle.
- Make sure to always keep your vehicle in a dry and cool place.
- Wash the vehicle regularly to get rid of all the oil and grime and prevent rust from happening.
- Make sure to go for regular maintenance check-ups at a trusted mechanic or technician.
- Ensure to keep your vehicle away from the snow, as that is the major reason it rusts.
Follow these steps regularly, see the changes it makes to driving and performance, and have the best experience.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Ford Escape
Learn about the problems of the Ford Escape so you can get them fixed immediately before they get too serious and compromise the longevity.
1. Engine Stumbling
When a Ford Escape starts, the engine stutters or hesitates, one of the most aggravating problems.
Since its release, this problem has been consistent across all years and models, and it’s thought to be caused by an EGR mistake that causes erroneous exhaust pressure.
2. Transmission Failing
Though this problem can affect any model, the 2014 and 2018 Ford Escape model years retain a transmission failure problem at 70,000 miles.
A skilled mechanic can replace the transmission system and bring the vehicle on the road again despite the complication.
3. Computer System (PCM) Malfunctioning
This problem is so common in the 2005 Ford Escape model year that Ford had to publish a recall to address it in 2014.
After 100,000 miles, the PCM, also called the Power Control Module, would break down. The warranty was said to be expanded to 80,000 miles due to the recall.
What To Look For When Buying A Ford Escape
Here I will list the best tips that can help you find the best deal possible, so be sure to read until the end.
- Check if it has been serviced before buying.
- Check if all the service records are available.
- Go for a test drive.
- Best and worst model years list.
- Recalls, complaints, and problems of the model year you plan on buying.
- Resale value.
- Reliability and safety scores.
- Running and maintenance cost.
- Accurate information on all the car parts; how many times they have been replaced, and why.
- Pros and cons list and compared with other similar small SUVs.
It will be satisfying for you if you go for a test drive and do research on all of the factors I have mentioned above before you divide on purchasing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The Ford Escape A Reliable Car?
Yes, the Ford Escape is a reliable car. The Ford Escape receives a 4.0 out of 5.0 reliability rating, placing it 16th out of 26 compact SUVs. It also has excellent safety scores and features, which makes it a worth buying vehicle.
Q2. Does Ford Escape Have A Lot Of Problems?
Just like any other vehicle, the Ford Escape has a fair share of problems. It has around 4208 complaints in about 20 model years, mainly related to transmission as well as the engine system.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used Ford Escape?
Yes, it is a good idea to buy a used Ford Escape. The Ford Escape is a stylish, capable, and affordable small SUV.
Even though increased trim levels can be costly when new, they can offer progressively reasonable prices as they age and become less costly on the secondhand market.
Q4. Does Ford Escape Rust Easily?
Some of the model years of the Ford Escapes are likely to have rusting issues. It is best to avoid the 2005 and 2014 model year as they had the worst rusting issues.
Q5. Is Ford Escape Expensive To Maintain?
During the first ten years of ownership, a Ford Escape will cost around $8,721 in maintenance as well as repairs. This is $1599 more than the industry standard for established SUV prototypes so yes this one is expensive to maintain.
Related: Ford Escape Starting Problems.
I hope this article was helpful for you in finding the answers you were looking for.
Now when it comes to the reliability and how long do Ford Escapes last, you must know that it highly depends on your driving habits, how well you take care, wash it as well as go for maintenance and repairs.
Without any of these things, your vehicle will not be able to last long. It is also worth mentioning that a Ford Escape does not have high mileage, but with proper care, it can reach up to 250,000 miles as well.
So make sure you pay extra attention and follow the tips I have mentioned above for better results.
Hi there! I am Tahir Azam, and this is my blog. WVDOT Automotive is a website dedicated to creating high-quality content for car enthusiasts. I am also an avid car driver. I own and drive a Porsche for my daily tasks. It is the perfect vehicle for my family. I am a proud father of two boys. I spend my mornings and evenings catering to clients at my very own software hub. After getting home, I dedicate a few hours of my time to create an article every day. Well, this is a short introduction about me and I am also a publisher on Amazon. I hope you enjoy reading through my articles, and I also hope that I may have helped you choose an upgrade for your vehicle.