The Dodge Durango has three available engines, offering an amazing all-rounder V8 engine. The car can accommodate seven adults as it is a 3-row SUV built with balanced weight distribution and bold colored exteriors.
The drive is comfortable and the audio system is a touch away with premium quality speakers. The Dodge Durango has amazing features and specs that can never be matched, but on a more practical note, how long do Dodge Durangos last?
With low-issue predictions, the car has an estimated life of 200,000 miles to 250,000 miles, but according to the Temptopaz forum, the car can last over 400,000 miles with proper maintenance. That adds ten years to its normal life span of 14-16 years.
Based on authentic reports and different car enthusiast forums, it has been deduced that the Dodge Durango is not just a simple average SUV.
It can last for a very long time and is a very durable car. It has a 3.0 out of 5 rating from consumers’ reports on reliability. The car is a practical choice for daily commute.
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Dodge Durango?
Dodge Durango is a new style. With a 10.1 Touch screen and a premium audio system, the interior is amazing.
This three-row SUV has space for seven adults as it is a 7-seater car. The exterior is similarly bold and has an amazingly powerful engine pack under the hood.
With sturdy built and a reliable car rating, the car has an estimated average life of 200,000 to 250,000, as mentioned above. It can round up to 13- 16 years in total.
Although car enthusiasts and owners have notified that the car can live past 400,000 miles if taken proper care of, every car part needs maintenance which will be discussed later on.
Does Dodge Durango Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
Over the years, SUVs have become a more practical and reliable choice for daily commute. It is a fact that D0dge Durango has an amazing reputation and has unmatched features.
In this section, I’ll discuss different similar car options other than Dodge Durango.
1. Dodge Durango Vs. Ford Explorer
Both Dodge Durango and Ford Explorer are amazing cars and can be tough to choose among such amazing SUVs. Both cars offer safety, reliability, and durability.
A better choice can be made with a deep analysis of both SUVs.
- Dodge Durango has a bigger gas tank and does not need to make frequent pit stops. It has an MPG of 21 Mpg combined, while the Ford explorer has 24 Mpg.
- Both cars offer amazing safety features, but in terms of overall safety, Dodge Durango exceeds the rating of the Ford Explorer, according to Edmunds report.
- On the aspect of quality and reliability, the Dodge Durango has been awarded a score of 81 out of 100 by JDpowers and for explorer has a score of 81.
- According to car complaints, Dodge Durango has 2953 complaints on the file and 848 problems reported by the owner. At the same time, Ford explorer has 38 technical service bulletins issued.
- While Ford Explorer has a 2.5L 4-inline engine, Dodge Durango offers a 3.6L V6 and a V8 engine.
- In terms of life expectancy, Dodge Durango has been known to cross over 400,000 miles, while the Ford Explorer is 80,000 to 200,000 miles.
Both SUVs have great features and are termed reliable, but Dodge Durango is the obvious choice in terms of life expectancy and safety.
Related: How Long Does A Ford Explorer Last?
2. Dodge Durango Vs. Hyundai Palisade
The Hyundai Palisade is a good SUV and has steamed up as a clear Dodge Durango Competitor. Having an easy-to-use infotainment system similar to Dodge Durango, the SUV has upgraded its features accordingly.
While US cars rated Hyundai Palisade as an 8.0, they have rated Dodge Durango as an 8.6. Both SUVs have roomy interiors, but Dodge Durango has more space for cargo.
It is better for a long duration as the Hyundai Palisade mileage is not up to the mark.
- The Hyundai Palisade has a front-wheel drive with a V6 3.8L engine. On the other hand, Dodge Durango has a rear-wheel drive with a V6 and a V8 engine of 3.6L.
- According to JD powers on the aspect of quality and reliability, Dodge Durango has been awarded 81 out of 100, while Hyundai Palisade has a score of 80 out of 100.
- Focusing on complaints, according to car complaints, Dodge Durango has 2395 complaints on file and 848 problems, while Hyundai palisade has 50 technical service bulletin issues against it.
- One of the continued lawsuits against Hyundai Palisade is that it smells very bad, and there is nothing the company can do about it.
- In terms of life expectancy, Hyundai Palisade has an average life span of 150,000 to 200,000 miles, while Dodge Durango can go beyond 400,000 miles.
Based on the critical analysis of both cars, it seems fair to say that Dodge Durango is a better choice for SUV users than Hyundai Palisade.
3. Dodge Durango Vs. Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jeep Grand Cherokee is an amazing jeep without a donut and has an amazing off-road experience. Even though the Jeep has more horsepower, it is still in for competition with an SUV.
- In terms of Mpg, it is reported that both Grand Jeep Cherokee and Dodge Durango has the same mpg in 19 cities and 26 highway making Dodge Durango more fuel-efficient.
- While both cars are 7-seaters, Dodge Durango has more cargo space than the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which can only accommodate five adults.
- Both cars have a 3.6L V6 engine, but Dodge Durango also offers a V8 engine which is much more powerful than that of the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
- According to JD Powers, on Quality and Reliability, Jeep Grand Cherokee has a score of 84 while Dodge Durango has a score of 82 out of 100.
- While according to car complaints, Jeep Grand Cherokee has 222 problems while Dodge Durango has 2395 complaints filed and 848 problems detected.
- In terms of life expectancy, the Jeep Grand Cherokee has a 20-year life promise which can go more than 200,000 miles, while the Dodge Durango can go more than 400,000 miles.
So finally with keeping in mind that the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a Jeep, almost similar to an SUV, this makes Dodge Durango a better option in price and practicality.
Related: How Many Miles Will A Jeep Grand Cherokee Last?
Life Expectancy of Dodge Durango Car Parts
As mentioned above, the car parts are as important as the body and the engine. The maintenance of every car part adds life and years to the car as a whole.
In this section, I’ll be discussing how different car parts come together in making the Dodge Durango.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Durango Brake Pads
The brake life mainly depends on the driver’s habits and how often they have to yank the brakes due to over speeding. It is better to get the brakes service after every 10,000 miles.
The average life of the brake pads is 30,000 to 70,000 miles. After 70,000 miles, they will wear out, hard on your rotors. It is better to get them replaced before it’s too late.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Durango Battery
It is good that you are using an older battery, but a working battery does not mean it is in its optimal condition. The average lifespan of the battery is around 3-5 years.
However, for maintaining the car’s integrity, it is better to change it after three years. The average life of the battery can be increased to 6-8 years by maintaining the battery and protecting it from harsh temperatures.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Durango Tires
It is only logical to rotate the tires every 20,000 miles with a four-wheel drive. It helps keep the tires from early wear out. This also depends on the driving habits and the area the car is being used.
Though the car’s weight is evenly distributed, it is better to change the tires after 50,000 miles as the average life estimated for the tires is 2-4 years.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Durango Transmission
A new transmission will cost you $3500, so it is better to take care of the one you have. The average life expectancy of the Dodge Durango transmission is 130,000 to 180,000 miles.
The transmission can live far beyond the average if it is taken properly by refilling the transmission fluid and changing engine oil with its air filters every 20,000 miles.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Durango Spark Plugs
After every 10,000 miles, get a proper inspection for the spark plugs as these metals built can wear out from speeding and harsh driving.
If they wear out, you may have ignition problems leading to engine problems soon. The Dodge Durango Spark plugs are designed to last 30,000 to 40,000 miles. It is better to replace them after 30,000 miles.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Durango Key Fob
Like other modern cars, the Dodge Durango is also powered by a key fob with an estimated lifespan of 2 years, but it depends on its use and car.
Owners have reported using the same key fob past 11 years, and the trick is to tweak the connections a little tighter. But it is better to change the key fob batteries every two years.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Dodge Durango?
If you have finally decided to buy this ultimate premium car then this is going to be an amazing decision. Dodge Durango is a reliable and durable car that can go much past its expected lifespan.
At the same time, looking through the used cars, never buy a Dodge Durango that has covered 150,000 miles on an odometer.
Find a Dodge Durango that has been driven for around 35,000 to 70,000 miles, giving you a smooth and comfortable drive of 17-18 years easily.
How To Increase How Long Your Dodge Durango Last
Dodge Durango is a very sturdy and reliable car that does not have frequent problems. In comparison, it may have premium quality parts it still needs to be maintained by the owner to boost its longevity.
Here are a few things that the owners of Dodge Durango need to do to increase the car’s lifespan.
- It is better to drive safely and soundly without overdriving and off-roading than paying for the repairs. The car can last long, but it should not be put to unreasonable tests as it will damage the car.
- After every 5000 miles, change the air filters and inspect the brake pads accordingly. Ensure the spark plug is working and the battery is well protected.
- Park the car indoors to protect the battery from intense temperature shifts.
- After every 10,000 miles, provide a good service and inspect the car for any repairs and damages. Get an inspection for the braking system, suspension system, and steering system.
- Get the car rustproofed before winter as a precaution.
- Rotate the tires after every 20,000 miles for a smooth and comfortable ride.
- Keep the car clean from the inside as any moist and damp spots can cause molds to grow, which can cause small part corrosion.
- After every 30,000 miles, replace the spark plugs and the brake pads, change the engine oil and refill the transmission fluid.
- Make sure to keep a check o the fuel line after 30,000 miles.
The points mentioned above are just routine care of the car. Get proper maintenance from professionals according to the maintenance schedule.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Dodge Durango
When it comes to factors that limit the lifespan of the Dodge Durango, the major factor is the neglect from the owner that can damage the car to a position of no return.
Even though Dodge Durango is a sturdy car and is not easily scared, neglect can affect this amazing car.
Here are a few things that car limit the life expectancy of your car:
- Unchanged air filters can cause engine choking and cause stalling.
- Old engine oil can cause low power to the car and a burning smell from the hood.
- Unfilled transmission fluid can cause the engine to fail and vibrate of acceleration.
- Offroading and excessive speeding can wear the tires and brake pads sooner.
- Unchanged brake pads can wear out the rotors.
- The unchanged battery can shut down at any time or cause short-circuiting.
- Parking outdoors in extreme temperatures can harm the battery.
- Whistling sounds from under the hood.
- Key fob battery replacement.
- Delay in shifting.
The above points are just several things to be more vigilant about if you want your car to live past its average expected lifespan.
Related: Dodge Durango Starting Problems
What To Look For When Buying A Dodge Durango
Finding a good condition Dodge Durango is a real challenge. If you have managed to find one for yourself, hurray for that!
Here is a list of questions to ensure the buy is right for you.
- Reason to why is the car being sold?
- Where the ad is listed and how long is the ad up.
- Ownership history; who owned the car, and where did they buy it?
- Usage of the car; How many years has the owner used the car?
- Covered miles; what is the exact mileage covered by the car? It should be between 30,000 – 100,000 miles.
- Replacement history; what parts have been replaced, and where are the receipts?
- Accident history; has the car been in an accident or involved in a crime?
Make sure to ask these questions and then make a properly informed decision. These are just a few important questions to ask.
Related: Best And Worst Years For Dodge Durango
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The Dodge Durango A Reliable Car?
According to consumers’ report, it has 3/5 reliability score and a total score of 81/100 by JD powers for quality. There is no doubt that the Dodge Durango is a very reliable car.
Q2. Does Dodge Durango Have A Lot Of Problems?
No, The Dodge Durango is a very sturdy and reliable car that has very low chances of repairs. It does not have any problems but a few being breaking of bolts which your local mechanic can replace.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used Dodge Durango?
Yes, the Dodge Durango is an excellent car for long commutes and daily driving. It is sturdy and durable as well. It has a life expectancy going more than 400,000 miles. It can give a drive of more than 20 years without serious problems.
Q4. Does Dodge Durango Rust Easily?
No, the surface of the Dodge Durango is galvanized with zinc and is covered equally, making it rust and corrosion-free. The car can go to all terrains and weather without being rusted.
Q5. Is Dodge Durango Expensive To Maintain?
No, Dodge Durango can go up to 250,000 miles without serious problems. An annual estimate of its repairs and maintenance is $600-700, a fair amount for such an amazing car.
The Dodge Durango is the new all-time favorite car which is no match for even a jeep. With amazing fuel mileage and enough space for seven adults and tins of cargo, this car is the best carpool car.
The best thing about Dodge Durango is the concern about safety and how it has managed to achieve higher comfort and safety features.
Keeping all the features and specs in focus, the car is an all-rounder, but the question still stands, how long do Dodge Durangos last? The answer is they can live past 400,000 miles if taken care of.
Hi there! I am Tahir Azam, and this is my blog. WVDOT Automotive is a website dedicated to creating high-quality content for car enthusiasts. I am also an avid car driver. I own and drive a Porsche for my daily tasks. It is the perfect vehicle for my family. I am a proud father of two boys. I spend my mornings and evenings catering to clients at my very own software hub. After getting home, I dedicate a few hours of my time to creating an article every day. Well, this is a short introduction about me and I am also a publisher on Amazon. I hope you enjoy reading through my articles, and I also hope that I may have helped you choose an upgrade for your vehicle.