The Dodge Challenger is a muscle car mainly famous for its speed. The SRT Super Stock variant has an acceleration of 0 to 60 mph in just 3.25 seconds. This is possible thanks to the amazing V8 engine, which can produce an eye-watering 807 HP.
The Challenger has been tried and tested by thousands of people, but the question new buyers always ask is, how long do Dodge Challengers last?
This question makes sense because you may be wondering if the high performance may reduce life expectancy. Well, it can be driven for up to 250000 miles. This is pretty good and rivals many vehicles on the market.
This article will be getting into the details of the Dodge Challenger, so you can have a proper insight into its reliability and longevity.
It will be compared with its top competitors, and there is a lot more to discover. So, you should get ready and strap in for the ride.
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A Dodge Challenger?
250000 miles is a great number. Being such a powerful muscle car, it would be normal for anyone to expect it to not last that long. But Dodge has certainly proven many people wrong.
If you drive for 15000 miles annually, you can expect the muscle car to last you for around 16 to 17 years. This is pretty good. You may be wondering about the reliability too. I say that you should hold on.
This article has been divided into sections, which will discuss their due topics in detail. So, I suggest that you take your time to read through this article, especially if you are serious about buying the Dodge Challenger.
Does Dodge Challenger Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
Well, what do you know? The reliability section has popped up sooner rather than later.
Instead of simply telling you just how reliable the Dodge Challenger is, I will be compared it with some of its top competitors, so you can assess where it stands. This is going to be a fun competition.
Let’s get started!
1. Dodge Challenger Vs. Chevrolet Camaro
The Chevrolet Camaro is a sports car that has been designed for pushing limits. It has an impressive design and is a direct competitor to the Dodge Challenger.
Let’s see if it is as reliable as its Dodge counterpart.
- The Dodge Challenger has gathered 287 complaints over its fifty years on the market. That is incredible and is one of the lowest I have seen on such an old vehicle.
- The Chevy Camaro is a few years older, but it has 479 complaints. That is still pretty good, but the Dodge Challenger has won the first round.
- Talking about reliability, the 2022 Dodge Challenger has managed to earn a very impressive 85 out of a 100 in terms of reliability. That is a high score, and the Chevy Camara could not beat it.
- It managed to get a highly respectable 82 out of a 100. The Dodge Challenger is the clear winner of the second round too.
- Unfortunately, the Chevrolet Camaro could not beat the Dodge Challenger in any round, including the last one.
- It can be driven for up to 200000 miles, which is lesser than the 250000 which the Dodge Challenger can do. The difference is great enough for the Challenger to gain a huge lead.
As can be seen, the Dodge Challenger is better than the Chevy Camaro in all regards. It is more reliable, has fewer complaints, and can last longer. So, it should not even be a question of which one to go for when choosing between the two.
Related: How Long Does A Chevy Camaro Last?
2. Dodge Challenger Vs. Ford Mustang
The Ford Mustang is another great vehicle that often goes head to head with the Dodge Challenger. This is the original pony car that carved out a whole new category of vehicles.
Let’s see if it can keep up with the Challenger.
- The Ford Mustang was first revealed to the public in 1965. It has been around for a long time.
- The Dodge Challenger came a few years later, but it has a drastically lower number of complaints.
- The Ford Mustang is sitting at 1500 while the Dodge Challenger has gained 287. The difference is clear enough to let the Challenger win the first round.
- The Ford Mustang goes head to head with the Dodge Challenger when talking about reliability. Both of them have earned an 85, which is extremely good.
- It is rare to see competitors so close in the reliability department. So, there is no winner in this round, and it is a tie.
- The Ford Mustang is powerful and reliable, but it cannot last as long as the Dodge Challenger.
- It competes with the Chevy Camaro because it has a life expectancy of 200000 miles. This translates to a 3 to 4-year difference, which is considerable. So, the Dodge Challenger has won the final round.
The Ford Mustang is an excellent car. It is powerful and is reliable too. Just like with any vehicle, it has pros and cons.
The cons that have been discussed in this article are a greater number of complaints and less life expectancy. These two factors have allowed the Dodge Challenger to win this competition.
Related: How Long Does A Ford Mustang Last?
3. Dodge Challenger Vs. Dodge Charger
Nothing is more interesting than comparing vehicles from the same manufacturer. The final vehicle that has made its way onto this list is the Dodge Charger. Can it defeat the Challenger for the top spot?
Let’s find out.
- The Dodge Charger is, in fact, older than the Challenger. It came three years early and has been in production ever since. When it comes to talking about the number of complaints, users are more pleased with the Challenger. It has 287 complaints, while the Charger is sitting at 882. So, the Challenger has won.
- Dodge does make amazing vehicles. Whether it be the Charger or the Challenger, both are extremely reliable. But the Challenger is more reliable than the Charger overall. It has managed an 85 while the Charger is right behind, at 83. So, the second round goes to the Challenger too.
- Dodge has made two great competitors, which has resulted in this round being a draw. The Dodge Charger is a true competitor to the Challenger. It can last for the same mileage, which is 250000. This is pretty good as the car will be able to last for more than 15 years.
Looks like the Challenger has won against this final car too. The Charger is the only one on this list that gave the Challenger a proper competition. But it still was not able to defeat it. So, the Challenger is still the undisputed reliability and longevity king.
Life Expectancy Of Dodge Challenger Car Parts
If you have reached this point of the article, I would suggest that you should not stop reading. If you are serious about buying the Dodge Challenger, then you should be able to know what is going on behind the scenes.
This section will discuss the lifespan and the reliability of the hardware that ships with the Challenger and the replacements.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Challenger Brake Pads
The brake pads on the Dodge Challenger will not cross the 50000-mile mark. There is a good chance they will run out on you when they have been driven for anywhere between 30000 and 40000 miles.
This is to be expected with such a high-powered car. The brakes work great, but the pads are the ones that are exposed to wear and tear. This results in better braking, which is essential for cars such as the Challenger.
You might be disappointed by the fact that the pads don’t last that long. I do have some good news for you.
Replacements don’t cost a lot and the fact that you will need to get the pads replaced once every 2 to 3 years means that the maintenance costs will not add up too much.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Challenger Battery
Although it may be a beast on the road, the electrical system is not that different from other vehicles. What this means is that the battery that is used to power that system can last for a maximum of five years.
The minimum is three, which is just as good as any other OEM batter out there. So, now the question arises, what about replacements? Most replacement batteries can last for the same period of time.
You should get AGM ones for your Dodge Challenger because it is resistant to vibrations. With the type of engine that is present under the hood, you will certainly benefit from it.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Challenger Tires
The Dodge Challenger is a pretty good vehicle. As expected, this trait is transferred to the tires as well. The tires on the Challenger can last for a maximum of 50000 miles.
This is almost as good as other cars on the market. Now, this number can be influenced greatly by a variety of factors. So, that can drop the minimum lifespan of the tires to 30000 miles.
When you visit the market to buy new tires for your Challenger, you should make sure to get those that have been designed for high-intensity usage.
This car is used for races and similar purposes. So, you need to buy tires that are designed to handle such usage.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Challenger Transmission
Dodge has made a lot of improvements under the hood, but one thing that hasn’t been changed is the transmission.
It is a good system that can last for up to 160000 miles. This is certainly not as high as 180000, which some cars can achieve, but it is pretty close.
160000 miles translates to more than a decade of service life. That is pretty decent. What you should be aware of is transmission replacements, or repairs do not come cheap.
So, when the time comes, you can expect the cost to be in the thousands of dollars. This is common with all vehicles, so you don’t have to worry about the fact that it is a Dodge Challenger-only issue.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Challenger Spark Plugs
Looks like Dodge did cut some costs in this department. There have been several reports of people that had to change the spark plugs of the Dodge Challenger at 30000 miles. This means the ones that have been used are copper or silver ones.
These are the lowest quality ones available on the market. When you buy replacement plugs for your Challenger, you should make sure that the ones you are getting are iridium or platinum ones only. They would be a perfect fit for this vehicle.
Average Lifespan Of Dodge Challenger Key Fob
The Dodge Challenger uses a standard key fob that has been built to last. Unless you are using an aftermarket one, there is a close to zero chance of the key fob failing on you.
According to my research, there are no complaints related to the fob malfunctioning or dying on people.
The only thing that needs to be known is that the battery may need to be replaced once every few years. This is not a cause for concern because new batteries are pretty cheap. They usually cost under $10.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used Dodge Challenger?
With the Challenger being able to last for a maximum of 250000 miles, you may be wondering about how much a used one should be driven? Well, the mileage should not be more than 150000 miles.
If the car has been driven for longer than that, then it will not last you as long. Plus, it is common for vehicles such as the Challenger to start causing issues at high mileage.
How To Increase How Long Your Dodge Challenger Last
If you have bought a Dodge Challenger and are looking to prolong its lifespan, I have some tips for you.
These are common for all vehicles, but I thought they should be listed anyway:
- Maintain the vehicle at proper intervals.
- Get a rust coating on the body.
- Improve your driving habits, which will reduce wear on moving parts.
- Rotate the tires every few months.
- Don’t overwork the V8 engine.
These are some of the many things that can be done to make sure that the Challenger can be used for the entirety of its 250000 miles.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your Dodge Challenger
Although it may be an extremely reliable muscle car, there have been complaints regarding the Dodge Challenger over the years. This section will discuss the major ones.
- Malfunctioning TIPM.
- AC not working.
- Airbags exploding.
- Steering wheel vibrating.
Some of the issues are serious, especially the airbag one. There is almost a hundred percent chance that the sudden explosion will result in a major accident.
So, if you do get a Dodge Challenger with the original airbags, you should make sure that they are not faulty.
What To Look For When Buying A Dodge Challenger
Buying used vehicles is always challenging. There are a lot of things to check, which is why many people buy new ones.
Well, if you really want a used one, there are some things to check before purchasing the vehicle:
- Check for vibration in the steering wheels.
- Check the airbags.
- Make sure the car was maintained properly.
- Get accident history.
- Get past repair information.
These checks will allow you to assess if the car you are looking at is worth buying or not. But before you begin, you should note the mileage. If the Dodge Challenger has more than 150000 miles on the odometer, you should consider some other one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The Dodge Challenger A Reliable Car?
The Dodge Challenger is one of the most reliable cars I have ever had the opportunity to write an article on. It does have a few issues, but overall, it is a reliable car. You will not encounter many major issues with it.
Q2. Does Dodge Challenger Have A Lot Of Problems?
No, it does not. There are many small problems, but they are not important because they can be found on other vehicles too. The ones that need to be considered have been listed in the article above.
- Electrical system issues.
- Steering issues.
- AC issues.
- Airbag system problems.
These are the problems you need to concern yourself with when buying the Dodge Challenger.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used Dodge Challenger?
Buying a used Dodge Challenger is a great decision. You are not sacrificing or compromising on anything while also making sure that you save some money too. If the car has been driven for less than 150000 miles, it should definitely be considered by you.
Q4. Does Dodge Challenger Rust Easily?
There have been a few reports of rust with the Dodge Challenger, but they are not common at all.
The ones that have been reported on online forums have had this issue occur after they were driven for a few years. So, you should not change your decision to buy a car because of this problem.
Q5. Is Dodge Challenger Expensive To Maintain?
The Dodge Challenger, with the V8 engine, is indeed more expensive to maintain than other similar cars.
$8436 is the cost you should expect for the first ten years of the Dodge Challenger. The average for other cars in the same class is $1265. This is a considerable difference.
The Dodge Challenger has been around for quite some time, and the manufacturer has ironed out many of its issues.
Yes, it still is not a perfect car, but it is good enough to be recommended to you. It is powerful, reliable, and is one of the longer-lasting cars in its class.
Now, the question of how long do Dodge Challengers last was answered in the first few lines of the article.
If you managed to stick around, then it can be said that you are serious about buying this muscle car. It is a great one, and I hope this article may have helped in your final decision to purchase it.
Hi there! I am Tahir Azam, and this is my blog. WVDOT Automotive is a website dedicated to creating high-quality content for car enthusiasts. I am also an avid car driver. I own and drive a Porsche for my daily tasks. It is the perfect vehicle for my family. I am a proud father of two boys. I spend my mornings and evenings catering to clients at my very own software hub. After getting home, I dedicate a few hours of my time to create an article every day. Well, this is a short introduction about me and I am also a publisher on Amazon. I hope you enjoy reading through my articles, and I also hope that I may have helped you choose an upgrade for your vehicle.