The amazing BMW X5 started its journey from greatness to unmatched individuality in 1999. It has four generations. Every generation of BMW X5 has a handful of turbo and diesel engines that roared through the city.
These models by generation were E53-X5, E70- X5, F15 X5, F85 X5, and lastly, the new generation G05 X5. Over the years, BMW has polished and upgraded these for a better appearance and a powerful engine.
The important question everyone would try to ask is, how long do BMW X5 last? The BMW X5 is designed to have a life expectancy estimated at 150k – 200k miles. Having better adaptability and enhanced style, the interior of the BMW X5 is always spot on premium leather, and the exterior is always sophisticated and elegant. With proper care, it can even lead up to 250k miles, which gives a life span of 10 to 12 years.
It is a mid-sized luxury SUV with a powerful engine and a very poised ride. It can go from 0 to 60mpg in about 5 seconds, maintaining balance and smooth acceleration.
According to Edmunds, the car has been a reliable car with 4.0 out of 5 according to consumers’ reports. It has been rated as number 3 among mid-sized SUVs.
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A BMW X5?
When BWW SUVs started to make it to the spotlight in 1999, it was a known fact that these cars would make it to the top over the years.
From different reports and owners, it has been estimated that the average life expectancy of a BMW X5 is 150,000 to 200,000 miles without any serious or expensive problems.
Four generations came with amazing features and reliable life expectancy. BMW X5 is a luxury mid-size SUV with five seats and a spacious interior for passengers.
Apart from the comfort, it has a powerful engine pack under the hood and premium quality parts designed specifically for this car. The parts will be discussed later on, so keep reading.
Does BMW X5 Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
BMWs are one of the oldest premium vehicles available in the market. Some models are vintages and owned by car enthusiasts even now. This portrays the reliability and longer life expectancy of these cars.
Similarly, different car companies have launched similar cars that have increased the competition over the years. With the debut of the BMW X5 SUV, there has been a line of tough competitors.
Some of them are even better from many perspectives.
1. BMW X5 Vs. Audi Q8
Among many SUVs available in the market, Audi looks somewhat larger than all, even though it is a 5-seater with a spacious interior.
It is one of the most driven family cars and has been a choice of many for longer commutes or daily drop-offs. But is that all to it? Does Audi Q8 has comfort and style only, or can it compete with BMW X5?
Let’s find out.
- The BMW X5 is a 5-6 seater car, while Audi can only accommodate five passengers.
- BMW X5 has been awarded as the 3rd reliable car according to JDpowers, and Audi Q8 is on 6th number.
- The site car complaint has a file on every car. According to their data, Audi Q8 has five complaints on file and two problems reported by owners. On the other hand, BMW X5 has 147 complaints and 418 problems reported by owners.
- BMW can run on fuel or electric power, similar to Audi Q8, while the difference in their engine is that Audi has a 3.0 V6 cylinder engine and BMW X5 hand a 3.0 straight 6 cylinder engine.
- Audi Q8 can produce a horsepower of around 335hp, while BMW X5 can produce a horsepower of 335 to 523 hp making it a more powerful rear-wheel drive.
- In terms of quality and reliability, the BMW X5 has been awarded a score of 78 out of 100 by JDpowers, and Audi Q8 has been awarded 74.
- The life expectancy of the Audi Q8 is 150,000 miles to 200,000 miles, similar to BMW, while the BMW x5 can live up to 250,000 easily.
After a very tight competition and a detailed analysis, it has been seen that BMW X5 is a more reliable and durable option than Audi Q8.
2. BMW X5 Vs. Genesis GV80
Genesis GV80 is an amazing car, and many car enthusiasts drool over this 5-seater SUV. Even though it is very stylish and has many features, the most applauding features are its safety features. Other than that, it has given BMW X5 a tough time.
- The five-seater has been around for a long time, while BMW X8 is amid sized SUV which has a cramped 3rd optional row. On the other hand, Genesis CV80 has more space in this regard.
- According to JDpowers, BMW is the 3rd on the reliability list, and Genesis GV80 is on the 2nd number.
- While safety is a very important feature in designing cars, BMW X5 has extra rear-seat airbags, which the Genesis GV80 lacks.
- Both have powerful engines, while Genesis GV80 has an engine of 2.5L/152 Intercooled turbo premium unleaded -I 4, while BMW X5 has a 3.0L/183 engine, which is an Intercooled turbo gas/electric I-6.
- The more sophisticated engine of BMW X5 produces a horsepower of 335hp while that of Genesis GV80 produces a horsepower of 300hp.
- In terms of quality and reliability, BMW X5 is awarded a score of 78 out of 100 by JDpowers, and Genesis GV80 is awarded 80 out of 100.
- The life expectancy of Genesis GV80 is similar to that of BMW X5, which is 150,000 to 200,000 miles. But BMW X5 can go on for 250,000 miles.
Genesis GV80 may be an excellent car in many aspects. But inters of fuel efficiency and engine, it will never match the BMW X5, which is also a safer and more reliable choice.
3. BMW X5 Vs. Mercedes Benz GLE Class
The amazing Mercedes-Benz GLE class deserves all the applause and the cheers. It is indeed an amazing car in every aspect.
Here is a discussion of which car to buy in terms of economic mileage, life expectancy, and reliability. The new Benz GLE Class claims to have resolved all its previous problems.
Let’s find out.
- According to JD Powers, the Mercedes-Benz GLE Class is number 2 on the reliability list, and BMW is on the list of 3rd most reliable SUV.
- While in terms of safety, BMW X5 has both front and rear parking sensors, and the Mercedes Benz GLE Class has only front parking sensors.
- BMW X5 has more horsepower of 335 compared to Mercedes Benz GLE Class which has a horsepower of 255hp. BMW X5 has a 3.0L 6 cylinder engine depending on their engine, while Mercedes Benz GLE Class has a 2.0L 4 cylinder engine.
- In terms of reliability and quality, the GLE class scored several 80 out of 100, while X5 scored 78 out of 100.
- The life expectancy of the Mercedes Benz GLE Class is 200,000 to 250,000, which is similar to that of the BMW X5.
It has merits and demerits, but the obvious choice for a better engine and power is BMW X5, a better sturdy choice for different terrains.
Life Expectancy Of BMW X5 Car Parts
As mentioned above in the article that the parts of the BMW X5 are made to increase its life expectancy.
In this section of the article, I’ll focus on different premium quality car parts of the BMW X5 and how they can increase the car’s life expectancy.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X5 Brake Pads
It depends on the terrain of the drive and the owner’s driving habits on how long the brakes wear out. Usually, it is advised to inspect the brake pads every 5000 miles and replace them after 30,000 miles.
As the life expectancy of BMW X5 brake pads is 30,000 to 70,000 miles, they should be replaced, or it can damage the rotor, which has a life expectancy of 70,000 miles as the BMW X5 rotors are dense.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X5 Battery
With careful driving and regular maintenance, the BMW X5 battery can live up to 5-7 years, which is over 100,000 miles.
Protecting the battery from severe temperature shifts and changing engine and transmission oil on time can add life to the battery.
However, the estimated life expectancy of the BMW X5 battery is said to be between 3 to 5 years which is 70,000 – 800,000 miles.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X5 Tires
The BMW X5 tires are estimated to have an average life expectancy of 3 years, after which the middle treads, will wear out. The wearing out of the tires depends on the tires themselves and the terrain of the drive.
It is advised to rotate tires every 5000 miles for a balanced ride and equally wear and tear. A set of new tires should be kept to change after every 40,000- 45,000 miles.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X5 Transmission
Every car requires maintenance and regular service. Similarly, so does BMW X5. It requires its engine oil changed and transmission fluid refilled after even 30,000 miles.
Without maintenance, the life expectancy of the BMW X5 transmissions is 100,000 miles, while maintaining the transmission can last up to 300,000 miles.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X5 Spark Plugs
Depending on the generation of BMW X5 and the type of engine being used, the spark plugs can go up to 60,000 miles.
After that, it may cause ignition problems and a burning smell from the hood. While the new generation Engine has spark plugs that can go on from 80,000 miles without causing any problems.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X5 Key Fob
The BMW X5 is an electric-powered car whose engine is powered by a key fob.
It can be said that all new cars launched are electric-powered, while it depends on the battery and life expectancy of the key fob for it to control the car commands effectively.
The estimated average life expectancy of a key fob battery is 3- 5 years, while the key fob itself can live far beyond the lifespan of the BMW X5.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used BMW X5?
Congratulations on your decision to on buying a BMW X5. It is an amazing car with amazing features that has been updated over time for a better drive experience and is highly fuel economical.
The luxury SUV has an amazing life expectancy of about 150,000 to 200,000 miles, giving you an estimated 12-13 years of smooth driving.
If you have spotted a used BMW X5 and are about to buy it, try to see the mileage it has driven and the owner’s driving habits.
Even though BMW X5 is a sturdy and reliable car, it still requires maintenance every 10,000 miles. It is better to get yourself a used BMW X5 that has been driven for almost 40,000 to 70,000 miles. It will give you 8-10 years of a comfortable drive.
How To Increase How Long Your BMW X5 Last
The BMW X5 is an amazing car for longer commutes. The five-seater car has a powerful engine that helps take up plenty of weight.
When it comes to the car’s life expectancy, many owners have proudly reported that the car can go up to 250,000 miles when taken care of according to the maintenance schedule, which is available online.
- BMW X5 needs to be inspected every 5000 miles for brake pads, rotor, spark plugs, and air filter change.
- Cleaning the exterior is mandatory and rust proofing by a rust proofing specialist.
- After every 10,000 miles, it is better to change the air filters again and inspect the braking systems’ suspension systems.
- Rotate the tires after every 12,000 miles to lower the chances of wear and tear.
- After every 20,000 miles, change the engine oil and refill the transmission oil.
- Excessive brakes may wear the brake pads and spark plugs before the expected timeline.
- Do not put more than the required weight on the car.
The points mentioned above are checklists that need to be practiced and inspected to increase the car’s life span. There are other points to follow, which will be written on the maintenance schedule, which is available online.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your BMW X5
The car requires proper maintenance and even repairs every 10,000 miles, increasing life expectancy.
On the other hand, neglect towards the care and maintenance of the car can limit its life expectancy, and there might be expensive repairs frequently.
Here are some problems that can limit the life expectancy of the BMW X5:
- Transmission problems.
- Neglect of transmission refill leading to burning smell and sudden engine failure.
- Engine stalling problems.
- A burning smell comes from the hood due to worn-out brake pads.
- Worn out brake pads leading to wearing out of rotors.
- Loss of key fob battery.
- Old and dirty air filters.
- The faulty uninspected suspension system.
- Faulty electrical system.
The problems mentioned above are just a handful when it comes to neglect. But these problems can limit the life span of the BMW X5 to almost half.
What To Look For When Buying A BMW X5
You can easily find a good used BMW X5, which has driven past 100,000 miles. It is better to opt for a car that has been driven for less than 100,000 miles.
When you are making the final decision, a few things should be cleared out before any final decisions are made.
- Accident history, any dents, and repairs.
- Involved in a crime or an asset to a crime.
- Why is the owner selling it.
- Entire ownership history.
- How many years was the car in use, and where was it driven.
- Is the paperwork complete.
- How many miles has the car covered.
- What parts are original, and what has been replaced.
- Reason for selling; what made them sell the car and why.
These are just a few major things to ask before making a certain decision. These questions will help you make a better decision and also negotiate the price.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The BMW X5 A Reliable Car?
Yes, The BMW has a very good score awarded by JDpowers, 78 out of 100. Apart from that, Edmunds consumer report has awarded the car with 4.0 out of 5.
Having amazing features and a safety-focused drive, this car is a reliable choice that has been rated as one of the three best Mid-sized luxury SUVs.
Q2. Does BMW X5 Have A Lot Of Problems?
No, The BMW X5 has four generations, and none of them have expensive or frequent problems. This means the car is reliable and can be used for a longer time.
The only problem owners reported is transmission failure due to neglect and due maintenance.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used BMW X5?
Yes, with a reliability score of 78, a consumer report rating of 4.0 out of 5, awarded as 3rd best SUV.
There is no number that makes it any more of a good idea. The car has a life expectancy of 150,000 to 200,000 miles which can exceed 250,000 if cared for.
Q4. Does BMW X5 Rust Easily?
No, the car is galvanized with zinc to make the body rust-free and resistant to corrosion. The rust is mainly on small parts of the car, such as brakes, spark plugs, or the inside of the body in winters due to winter slush.
Apart from that, BMW X5 offers a 12-year warranty on perforation due to corrosion.
Q5. Is BMW X5 Expensive To Maintain?
The BMW X5 is a sturdy car that does not have frequent issues. It has an annual maintenance cost of $1,166, which is a little more than the average SUV.
If the repairs are also added, it can raise $95 to $5,474, depending on the mileage and the skipped repairs.
BMW X5 is not just a brand but a companion for a lifetime. It has a comfortable interior, allowing passengers and drivers to easily commute on long routes.
With a dynamic Damper control and adaptive M suspension of your choice, this can go from 0 to 60mph in about 5 seconds. With better aerodynamics and a sport-focused active car, that is almost a blink of an eye.
The BMW X5 is an amazing 5-seater. With a remote engine start and a standard M50i, the car has many features. The best one is its life expectancy. The answer to the question, how long do BMW X5 last?
This amazing luxury Mid-sized SUV lasts over 150,000 to 250,000 miles and can provide you a comfortable drive for almost 12 years if taken care of.
Hi there! I am Tahir Azam, and this is my blog. WVDOT Automotive is a website dedicated to creating high-quality content for car enthusiasts. I am also an avid car driver. I own and drive a Porsche for my daily tasks. It is the perfect vehicle for my family. I am a proud father of two boys. I spend my mornings and evenings catering to clients at my very own software hub. After getting home, I dedicate a few hours of my time to create an article every day. Well, this is a short introduction about me and I am also a publisher on Amazon. I hope you enjoy reading through my articles, and I also hope that I may have helped you choose an upgrade for your vehicle.