Since 2009, BMW has produced the BMW X1 subcompact luxury crossover SUV. The BMW X1 is a car that can be relied upon.
The BMW X1 should endure a long time because it is relatively new. The BMW X1 is adequately potent for most driving demands, thanks to the all-wheel drive and a turbocharged 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine.
But before you decide whether it is a good vehicle, there are some factors you must look into first, mainly related to its longevity.
So, how long do BMW X1 last? Well, it is said that when properly maintained and used sensibly, the BMW X1 is a long-lasting vehicle that should last between 150,000 miles to 200,000 miles. Driving 15,000 miles per year, this amounts to 10 up to 13 years of service before ceasing to function or expecting costly repairs.
In this article, you will get to learn a lot about the BMW X1, so be sure to continue reading to learn about the BMW X1’s reliability and how long you can expect it to operate.
Plus, I have also included a frequently asked question section that will benefit you if you read, so do not miss out.
What Is The Average Life Expectancy Of A BMW X1?
With adequate maintenance and safe driving habits, the BMW X1 is a sturdy car that should endure between 150,000 miles and 200,000 miles.
The BMW X1 is also said to have a 15-year average life, which implies that if you drive it 15,000 miles a year, it will last between 10 to 13 years before requiring costly repairs.
The BMW X1’s lifespan, like that of many other luxury compact SUVs in its category, will be much shorter.
When it comes to repairing and replacement costs, the X1 will almost certainly require pricey repairs and become difficult to retain after it approaches the 150,000 to 200,000 miles mark.
Does BMW X1 Last Longer Than Other Similar Vehicles?
Here I will be comparing some similar vehicles with the BMW X1 to find out which one is better in terms of longevity, reliability, and so much more.
So make sure to read until the end, as it will also help you decide whether it is a worthwhile vehicle or not.
1. BMW X1 Vs. Audi Q3
Both of these vehicles are said to be popular and offer excellent performance and great interior space.
But let’s compare the two to see which one is better.
- According to recent owner reports, both the Audi Q3 and the BMW X1 are expected to last 150,000 miles up to 200,000 miles.
- The average annual maintenance and repair expense for an Audi Q3 is $987, while the cost for a BMW X1 is $915.
- In terms of reliability, the Audi Q3 receives a 3 out of 5 rating from Repair Pal, while the BMW X1 receives a 3.5 out of 5 ratings.
- The Audi Q3 receives a 77 out of 100 rating from J.D. Power, while the X1 receives a 75 out of 100 rating for quality and reliability.
- The BMW X1 has better handling, but the Audi Q3 has a roomier cabin and larger cargo space.
- The Audi Q3 is more comfortable than the BMW X1 in general, although at the cost of leisure handling.
- Several strained and cracking timing chains have been made about the BMW X1’s 2.0-litre diesel engine.
- In contrast, Audi Q3 has around. 4 complaints on more than six models, mainly related to electrical and transmission problems.
Overall, both of them are great vehicles in their ways, as one offers better handling, and the other offers more space and comfort. But in terms of longevity, both of them are great and great choices to purchase.
2. BMW X1 Vs. Volvo XC40
Now coming over to the second car on this list, it is worth noting that the BMW X1 has the longest footprint, while the Volvo XC40 is larger, taller, and rides on a significantly lengthy wheelbase.
But let’s compare the two to find out which is long-lasting and reliable.
- The average lifespan of a Volvo XC40 is 200,000 miles up to 250,000 miles, which is more than the BMW X1’s projected mileage.
- When it comes to annual maintenance expenditures, the Volvo XC40 is less expensive, which is $779, than the BMW X1, which costs $915.
- In terms of dependability, RepairPal gives both the BMW X1 and the Volvo XC40 vehicles a 3.5 out of 5 rating.
- In terms of quality and reliability, J.D. Power gives the Volvo XC40 a 78 out of 100 ratings and the BMW X1 a 75 out of 100 ratings.
- The Volvo XC40 is a superior option for those searching for the best value for money since it has a longer expected lifespan and a lower maintenance cost.
- The BMW X1 has a spacious cabin with rear-seat legroom, whereas the Volvo XC40 only has limited cargo space.
- The Volvo XC40 has around 24 common problems related to the electrical system, whereas the BMW X1 has issues mainly with the engine system.
The Volvo XC40 can last longer, but there are certain issues with the XC40 because it has more complaints than the BMW X1, which can also affect its reliability and longevity.
On the other hand, the BMW X1 offers more space and has fewer issues.
3. BMW X1 Vs. Mercedes-Benz GLA Class
These both are outstanding performing subcompact luxury crossover SUVs. They are also similar in size and offer great power.
But to determine which a better vehicle is, it is necessary to compare the two, so let’s get into it without further ado.
- The Mercedes-Benz GLA Class is predicted to last up to 200,000 miles on average, comparable to the BMW X1’s expected mileage.
- The Mercedes-Benz GLA Class costs $987 per year on average for service and maintenance, while the BMW X1 costs $915 per year.
- The BMW X1 gets 3.5/5 on Repair Pal, and there isn’t enough Mercedes-Benz GLA Class data to give it a rating. Thus there aren’t any.
- The Mercedes-Benz GLA Class receives a score of 78/100 from J.D. Power, whereas the BMW X1 receives 75/100.
- Both automobiles have similar engines that produce the same proportion of horsepower and torque.
- The Mercedes-Benz GLA Class has a lot of common problems, mainly related to the engine system, which is also similar to the X1 problems and complaints.
Overall, both of these vehicles are expected to last longer, but the Repair Pal doesn’t collect sufficient data on the Benz-Benz GLA Class.
However, there are also a lot of problems with the GLA Class, which might affect its longevity. You might have to look closely into the problems to conclude whether it is safe to buy or not.
Life Expectancy Of BMW X1 Car Parts
Now coming over to the car parts of the BMW X1, this section is crucial for you to read until the end. It will help you understand each car part individually, how long it will last, what problems can reduce its lifespan, etc.
So make sure to read until the end.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X1 Brake Pads
With typical use, the brake pads on the BMW X1 will last 30,000 miles up to 70,000 miles. Each brake pad costs from $50 to $100, plus additional labor costs.
Your BMW X1 brakes may certainly wear out sooner than planned if you drive in a lot of stop-and-go traffic. It is important to remember that how you drive affects how long your brakes last, so make sure to change your driving habits.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X1 Battery
The average battery life for a BMW X1 is between 3 years to 5 years, but this varies based on weather conditions, driving behavior, battery type, and many other factors.
The cost of batteries is too expensive, not to mention the additional labor costs. Your car batteries need to be replaced if it takes a long time for the car to begin after turning the key or if the battery connections and cables corrode quickly.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X1 Tires
The tires on the BMW X1 last an average of 30,000 miles up to 50,000 miles, or 2 to 4 years, depending on various conditions.
The typical lifespan of your tires is affected by factors like driving patterns, road conditions, high temperatures, and driving frequency.
Off-roading or driving through rocky terrain will quickly degrade your tires; this is why it is highly recommended to drive in smooth and even road conditions.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X1 Transmission
The BMW X1’s transmission should last for more than 100,000 miles on the odometer with regular maintenance.
You must keep in mind that changing the fluids as suggested by your mechanics or the owner’s manual is vital, plus it can also prolong the life of the transmission system.
So always make sure to check the fluids and change them whenever required.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X1 Spark Plugs
All BMW vehicles use the same spark plugs as the BMW X1. These spark plugs are made to last up to 80,000 miles before they need to be replaced.
Be mindful that spark plugs can wear out easily, so you will have to clean them regularly with a dry cloth and check them regularly.
If the mechanics notice anything wrong, they will replace them immediately because if they start to malfunction, it can cause other parts of the vehicle to fail, mainly the engine system.
It will not be able to start as it should, or it will not have sufficient power.
Average Lifespan Of BMW X1 Key Fob
The lifespan of a BMW X1 key fob will mainly depend on how the driver uses it. It is worth noting that the battery can die more quickly than the key fob, so it will require replacement more often.
Moreover, it is said that if someone locks or unlocks the vehicle many times, it can also cause the battery to burn quickly. The battery is usually said to last between 2 to 3 years.
However, it is suggested that if you notice the key fob not responding quickly or requires you to repeat something multiple times, then it is time to change the battery immediately.
What Is Good Mileage For A Used BMW X1?
A BMW X1 with more than 100,000 miles on the odometer is classified as a high-mileage vehicle, making it a risky investment due to catastrophic internal component failures.
This is why it is best to purchase a vehicle that has not reached over 100,000 miles to get the most out of it without any serious and costly problems.
When large numbers are achieved, critical parts like engines and transmission systems are more likely to decline.
A BMW X1 with many miles on it can be a decent bargain if you know how well it’s been cared for and has substantial assistance certificates.
Before buying a used BMW X1, review the vehicle’s maintenance history and have a mechanic inspect it for major concerns.
How To Increase How Long Your BMW X1 Last
Here I will be listing down some tips that you can follow to prolong the life of the BMW X1 but make sure to do all of these regularly as it takes time to see a certain change.
So with that being said, here is what you can do to increase the life of the BMW X1:
- Maintain constant moisture in the interior of the vehicle.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of all services as well as maintenance schedules.
- Wash your automobile regularly to remove dirt and grime that can cause rust and corrosion.
- Use high-quality components and fluids.
- All performance-enhancing alterations should be avoided.
- Smooth driving techniques should be used.
- Regularly inspect the engines, coolant, transmission, and additional parts for any unusual indicators.
- To keep your car safe from the elements, keep it in a garage.
- To extend the life of your tires, brake pads, as well as batteries, drive cautiously.
Do keep in mind that if your BMW X1 is old or a used version, then doing these things regularly is a must, but in some cases, you might have to spend extra time and money on them so they can last longer.
Make sure to follow all of these tips and stay constant so you can see excellent results.
Problems That Limit The Life Of Your BMW X1
Now coming over to the BMW X1 problems, you must know that these issues can ruin the performance and its longevity which can cost you a lot of money to fix.
Be sure to read this so you can prepare yourself on how to fix the problems easily.
1. Snapping Timing Chain
If the chain snaps, the engine will typically need to be replaced. There is no effective treatment, and even changing the chain as a preventive measure is prohibitively expensive.
2. Cooling System Problems
Coolant leakage appears to be an issue with the 2016 model. This can occur due to seal failures, bad design, or damage. However, it appears that the BMW X1 is susceptible to this issue.
Fortunately, problems with the cooling system aren’t always difficult to solve. They may be kept in check by routinely replacing the coolant, resealing the cooling system, and having your car serviced.
3. Engine Issues
Another prevalent issue with the 2016 model is engine failure. When the passenger engine mounts cracks, it requires immediate attention.
The problem is exacerbated by the fact that this type of issue may be quite costly to repair, especially when the car is new.
4. AC/Heater Issues
The issue here is more with interior comfort than with the vehicle’s real purpose. In most circumstances, the BMW X1 cooling and heating system performs well and effectively regulates interior temperatures.
However, the A/C and heat only appear to turn on when they are put in particular settings in some circumstances, making it more difficult to maintain the cabin pleasant.
What To Look For When Buying A BMW X1
This advice here will help you divide whether or not to purchase a BMW X1. This advice must be followed for all cars, so you do not end up purchasing a lemon car.
- Go for a test drive.
- Make sure there isn’t any smoke coming from the tailpipe while driving.
- Check the engine system and the transmission system.
- Check how many times the components have been replaced if you are looking for a used one.
- Make sure there isn’t any rattling sound coming while test driving.
- Check all the generations.
- Recalls, complaints, and problems.
- Best and worst model years list.
- Compare it with other vehicles.
After looking into all of these, you see no problems; then buying the vehicle is a great idea but just make sure to avoid the worst model years as they are the most problematic ones.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is The BMW X1 A Reliable Car?
Yes, the BMW X1 is a reliable vehicle. The BMW X1 receives a 3.5 out of 5.0 reliability rating, placing it sixth among small luxury SUVs.
Q2. Does BMW X1 Have A Lot Of Problems?
A number of complaints about strained and cracking timing chains have been made about the BMW X1’s 2.0-liter diesel engine. If the chain snaps, the engine will be severely damaged, necessitating the replacement of the entire engine.
Q3. Is It A Good Idea To Buy A Used BMW X1?
It is a good idea to buy a used BMW X1 because it has an excellent reliability reputation and offers excellent performance as well.
However, make sure to choose the right used model because some model years can be a lot more problematic than you think.
Q4. Does BMW X1 Rust Easily?
The BMW X1 will not rust easily, but you must know that BMW is likely to rust in two places, mainly the front lower spot of the rear wheel.
Q5. Is BMW X1 Expensive To Maintain?
The annual car maintenance costs for the BMW X1 are $915. Given that the typical BMW X1 costs $915 and the regular vehicle costs $651 per year, the X1 is significantly less expensive to maintain.
The BMW X1 is a great choice if you are looking for a subcompact luxury crossover SUV in the market. Now, how long do BMW X1 last will depend on how well you drive it; take care of it as well as how often you provide services and maintenance?
It is a great thing that maintaining this vehicle is cheaper than most crossover SUVs in the market. If you pick the right model year whether a new one or a used one and most importantly with the right mileage then you will have the best experience with it.
Hi there! I am Tahir Azam, and this is my blog. WVDOT Automotive is a website dedicated to creating high-quality content for car enthusiasts. I am also an avid car driver. I own and drive a Porsche for my daily tasks. It is the perfect vehicle for my family. I am a proud father of two boys. I spend my mornings and evenings catering to clients at my very own software hub. After getting home, I dedicate a few hours of my time to create an article every day. Well, this is a short introduction about me and I am also a publisher on Amazon. I hope you enjoy reading through my articles, and I also hope that I may have helped you choose an upgrade for your vehicle.